Tuesday, February 06, 2007

White Bean Soup with Kale

Speaking of the Food Network (and their love for chicken stock) here's another recipe we decided to try after catching it on Dave Lieberman's show. Replace the chicken stock with vegetable stock and you're good to go. For the crostini we used slices of the rosemary bread I made this weekend and just the soup and bread made quite a satisfying meal.

Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately depending on your viewpoint), our Food Network watching days are over for a while. I don't want to incriminate us, but let's just say that we canceled our cable quite a while ago but it was never disconnected - until this past weekend. In our defense, we did tell Adelphia to cancel on four separate occasions. Now that Comcast has taken over it seems they're at least slightly less clueless. At any rate, we'll see how long we can go without our Rachael Ray fix ;-)

6 comments:

springsandwells said...

Oh Chris,
Where will you be without your food network!?

Just kidding. Actually, I think it's awesome that you cancelled your cable. What was your motivation for that?

Back when I lived alone, I had no TV... which I LOVED. But then I fell in love with musty, and eventually I moved in with him and his giant TV and his basic cable. Ugh. It's a small point of dissatisfaction between us. Although we've had it off all night tonight - which has been delightful. Anyhow, let us know how your cable-free lifestyle feels!

Chris said...

Thanks for the comment Amey. Our main motivation for axing the cable was cost. Just the basic non-digital cable is well over $50/month here and that's just a little much for us right now. We did break down last year and get DSL and also Netflix so that's enough to keep us busy. And with a small antenna we get all the networks so we can still watch The Simpsons and The Office. I miss the weather channel but it's easy enough to get that info on-line. And maybe we'll have more time for doing other things now because we won't be camped in front of the TV yelling at the screen because Emeril's cooking up a huge hunk 'o flesh.

SapphireStar said...

Oh so weird. I made something so similar last night Greens & Cannellini Beans using a version of Red Lentils & Kale.

It all started because I had some beets I needed to use up and I didn't want to waste the greens, but I added other greens (kale, collard, & chard), used a lazy short cuts (a can of Cannellini Beans and some boxed veggie broth.) I spiced exactly how SusanV's recipe said. Yummy. I put it all on top of whole wheat couscous.

Chris said...

Sounds great sapphirestar. I just saw that Susan did a white bean soup with red kale too. Must be that time of year...

funwithyourfood said...

hahaha
thief!! ;)

Chris said...

Me?? Never ;-)