Saturday, March 17, 2007

Apple Pie


My mom makes a good apple pie but I've been wanting to come up with my own version and this was the ticket. I used a standard pie crust on the bottom and a crumb topping. I also added some maple syrup and lime juice to the apples. We both thought the pie was great, evidenced by the fact that 24 hours later there's only one small piece left. I pulled ideas from several different cookbooks (plus my own ideas) and this is what I came up with.

For the crust:
1 c. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 c. margarine (I used Earth Balance sticks)
3 Tbs. cold water

Sift together the flour and salt, then cut in the margarine with a pastry blender or a fork. Add the water and mix until a dough forms then roll out onto a lightly floured surface. Make a big enough circle to cover the bottom of your pie plate and come up the sides to the top. Press into your pie plate and set aside.

For the filling:
1 sweet apple and 5 granny smith apples, peeled, cored, quartered and sliced
1 Tbs. lime juice
1/3 c. maple syrup
3 Tbs. flour
1 tsp. cinnamon
pinch freshly grated nutmeg

Mix everything together in a large bowl and place on top of your crust.

For the topping:
1/3 c. flour
1/3 c. quick oats
3 Tbs. brown sugar
3 Tbs. canola oil

Mix together flour, oats and brown sugar. Add the oil and mix until crumbly. Gently spread this mixture out over the apples. Gently cover with foil and bake at 375ยบ for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and bake another 30-45 minutes or until the pie is bubbly and the apples are tender.

8 comments:

Veg-a-Nut said...

That pie looks delicious. My DH loves apple pie smoothered in ice cream. Of course soy ice cream. I am going to print this baby out. Thanks for sharing.

springsandwells said...

yum!
I love apple pie. It's such a deeply satisfying dessert. I've been enjoying the crumb topping lately on pies - it's so easy and also less fatty than a whole nother crust on top. Plus you get that little crunch.

Hope you're doing well!
:)

Twisted Cinderella said...

That looks wonderful! Definitely a recipe worth saving!

jess (of Get Sconed!) said...

Man does that look like THE perfect apple pie, especially stury-wise. I like that you use lime juice instead of lemon.

Cherie said...

That's some good-looking apple pie! I love cooked apples with cinnamon.

bazu said...

That looks mighty good- it must be so satisfying to finally happen upon THE recipe. Mmmm. I'm still searching.

Darlene said...

Thanks so much everyone!!

Johanna3 said...

oh my.. this looks so good. thanks for share!