Thursday, March 22, 2007

Baked Burritos

Here's yet another meal born of a need to use something up. A while ago I cooked about a pound of dried kidney beans and then portioned them out. One portion went into the sweet potato stew and a couple portions went into the freezer but there were still about two cups worth in the fridge that we needed to use. When Darlene suggested baked burritos smothered with a "cheesey" sauce I was all over that idea. I made the Nacho Cheeze Sauce from the Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook again except this time I finely minced a few jalapeƱo slices and threw those in there for some added zip. I cooked some onion, carrot and garlic, then added a bit of crushed tomatoes along with the kidney beans and some frozen spinach. That mixture was seasoned with chili powder, cumin and oregano, then it was wrapped snug in flour tortillas. Six of those went into a lightly oiled baking dish, the sauce went on top and I baked it at 350° for 30 minutes. Meanwhile I made a quick guacamole to serve on top. We do something similar fairly regularly but the creamy sauce was a great variation.

7 comments:

Twisted Cinderella said...

sounds yummy! A lot of my recipes are born the same way!

Veg-a-Nut said...

Burritos, Heavenly food. Yours looks fantastic!

Melody said...

This looks absolutely delicious...

Johanna3 said...

oh my.. this looks very good!

Chris said...

thanks everyone!

funwithyourfood said...

ok those look SINFUL

Mikaela said...

Ooo, I love this!