Friday, March 30, 2007

BBQ Tofu Sandwiches with Coleslaw

So do you like coleslaw on your barbecue sandwiches? We sure do. Half a head of leftover cabbage gave me this idea. We've done a more involved version before but this was pretty quick and simple. The slaw was adapted from a recipe in our trusty old Better Homes cookbook - shredded cabbage, carrots, vegan mayo, vinegar, salt, agave, mustard and celery seed. For the tofu I sautéed a little sweet onion, then added crumbled tofu and store-bought barbecue sauce (Trader Joe's brand). A little more of the sauce went on ciabatta rolls along with the tofu and slaw and on the side were Chipotle Yam Wedges from Vive le Vegan! Quite a tasty dinner.

5 comments:

bazu said...

Oh yum! All my neighbors are barbequing every night (that's right, after a long winter hibernation, they're obsessed!) and I need some vegan BBQ options! And no BBQ meal is complete without coleslaw, of course. Easily one of my favorite salads.

springsandwells said...

oh wow. I haven't even thought about coleslaw in years. Maybe I will give it a try. I don't even remember it at all.

Alas, our BBQ is busted. Along with our oven. and our fridge. Sigh. So many home improvement projects. We'll have to tackle one at a time!

Chris said...

Our grill is toast too. I went to use it at the end of last summer and the bottom was rusted out. I suppose we could get another one but bottled barbecue sauce on the stove top works in a pinch.

KleoPatra said...

GREAT stuff there!!

Susan said...

This looks so yummy! I have been looking longingly at the BBQ pork sandwich with coleslaw at my favorite restaurant, even though I don't want pork at all. This looks like a great substitute. Thanks for sharing!