Sunday, March 04, 2007

Lo Mein

We do fried rice pretty regularly so the recipe in Vegan Planet for Tofu and Vegetable Lo Mein caught my eye as something similar but different. The recipe's pretty simple but satisfying. The most time consuming part of it is chopping the veggies. Which include green onions, carrots, snow peas, bok choy, ginger and garlic. Half a block of diced tofu is stir-fried separately, then combined at the end with the veggies and noodles (whole wheat spaghetti in this case) and soy sauce. I also added a drizzle of black sesame oil at the end to kick up the flavor a bit.

And we often don't do dessert but when we do this pineapple upside-down cake that Darlene makes from Very Vegetarian is a favorite. It's great for breakfast the next morning too.

12 comments:

Veg-a-Nut said...

This looks so yummy! I am with you on the noodles. I love whole wheat spaghetti. Your pineapple cake Oh MY Goodness! :o)

Mikaela said...

The Lo Mein looks great. And, I could always use an excuse to eat dessert for breakfast! :)

Cherie said...

I have that Very Vegetarian book and haven't used it in a while. The lentil marinara is awesome. I want some of that cake!

bazu said...

That lo mein does look good- as does the pineapple upside down cake. I love baking mainly because I can look forward to breakfast the next morning!

Chris said...

Cake for breakfast is always good. I'll look up that lentil recipe Cherie... don't think we've tried it.

funwithyourfood said...

wait, cake for breakfast?? tsk tsk


teddy

Melissa said...

The pineapple upside down cake looks really good. I tried to look it up in my copy of Very Vegetarian but can't find it. Is it an adaptation of a cake in that book? Thanks.

aTxVegn said...

I just bought a dozen cookbooks and I guess now I need another one for that cake recipe! The lo mein looks great too. I need to be reminded to do stirfries with noodles instead of rice sometimes.

Twisted Cinderella said...

That looks wonderful! I love whole wheat spaghetti too!

Chris said...

Melissa, I think the recipe is called "Oops I Dropped My Cake". I don't have the book in front of me at the moment but I'll confirm that when I get home.

I like cupcakes and cookies for breakfast too Teddy ;-)

Chris said...

oops I mixed up my cookbooks... that recipe is actually in Sinfully Vegan so that explains why you couldn't find it in Very Vegetarian. Sorry 'bout that.

And by the way Darlene says she used canola oil instead of margarine and all whole wheat pastry flour and it turned out great.

Melissa said...

Chris, I have Sinfully Vegan also and just looked up the recipe. I'll try it this weekend. Thanks.