Sunday, March 11, 2007

Nachos and Cupcakes

We spent some time yesterday afternoon making cupcakes to bring to a party (and of course we had to keep a few for ourselves). I've been wanting to try the Chocolate Stout Cupcakes from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World. I had a bottle of local Dark Starr Stout on hand for the occasion too. We made a batch of those plus a batch of margarita cuppers. We figured the cupcakes with alcohol in them would be good for a party. We ended up leaving the party fairly early and the cupcakes hadn't been touched but hopefully they were consumed in a late night feeding frenzy.

After the cupcake fun, something thrown together quickly sounded good for dinner. Plus I wanted an excuse to try the Nacho Cheeze Sauce from the Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook. (We picked up the original Uncheese Cookbook at a used bookstore a few months ago and we just grabbed Ultimate Uncheese at the library recently to see what was different. The Nacho Cheeze isn't in the original but is in the new one.)

Anyway, after making the sauce (which was quick to make and quite tasty) I also cooked some black beans with a little onion, salt & chili powder. I put a bunch of tortilla chips on a baking sheet and topped them with the black beans, some guacamole, Trader Joe's peach salsa, a few jalape├▒os and the sauce. Then I baked my concoction at 350┬║ for 10 minutes and it was a fabulous dinner.


And here's one more fun thing we did this weekend: Monkey Bread. This was a recipe in our bread cookbook that Darlene had been wanting to try and she finally got to it Friday night. It's a fairly standard bread dough, then the dough is divided into many little pieces and each piece is dipped in melted margarine then rolled in a cinnamon-sugar-walnut mixture. We baked it in a springform pan and added a layer of raisins in between two layers of the dough balls. Very yummy!

13 comments:

laura jesser said...

Oh yum, those nachos look just right! I hope those cupcakes got consumed--they are certainly too beautiful to go to waste!

Mikaela said...

Yum, nachos for dinner! One of my all time faves :)

Kassia said...

Monkey bread!! I loved that when I was little. What bread recipe did you use, and would you mind sharing it? I'd love to make that myself.

Cherie said...

This is the best post ever! Delicious bread, nachos, and cupcakes. Yum!

Twisted Cinderella said...

MMMmmm . . . that looks fabulous! I LOVE monkey bread!

Veg-a-Nut said...

NACHO HEAVEN! I really need to get those books. Is there enough difference to get both books? Love the monkey bread. I need to cook that for my sis. Her nickname is monkey.

Lady Di said...

Everything looks great! There was a Guinness Stout Gingerbread and a Guinness Cake in the Recent King Arthur's Baking Sheet that I am looking at trying to make sometime (the 3 eggs in each give me a bit of a pause as to how to change them).

For a savory Monkey Cake: Use olive oil and Mrs. Dash Tomato, Basil and Garlic or regular Italian seasoning mixed with a touch of fake Parmesan. It gives a break from breadsticks and slightly different than garlic bread.

bazu said...

Wow, I've never heard of Monkey bread, but it looks delicious! I'm always fascinated by your baking experiments. I have yet to try the margarita cupcakes, but those chocolate stout ones are so so good!

Veg-a-Nut said...

I am back again. I just had to tell you that since our library sucks (they have very little in the way of vegan) I had to buy the uncheese book. I can't wait for it to get her. DH was just as excited. DD is gonna flip, she loves when I cook with nutritional yeast. Thanks for the ever gentle push. :o)

Chris said...

laura - I heard from the host that there were only 2 cupcakes left and he and his wife were going to polish those off so no cupcake waste. Yay!

Thanks Mikaela!

Kassia - we used a recipe from a book we got for Christmas called Bread: the breads of the world and how to bake them at home. It's by Ingram and Shapter. No promises but send us e-mail and we'll try to find the time to type up the recipe.

thanks cherie & cinderella!

lady di - your savory version sounds great. Maybe we'll give that a try next time.

I'm partial to chocolate bazu but those margarita cuppers might be the next best thing. Give 'em a try.

Glad you got the uncheese book veg-a-nut. We haven't tried a lot of the recipes in there but the ones we have tried have been good. Did you get Ultimate Uncheese? That's probably all you can get now anyway and I think it has most of the recipes from the original plus more.

VeganCyclist said...

those nachos look AWESOME! adn the CUPPERS! thanks for the foodie pics!

Linda said...

i love monkey bread! i haven't had it in years! yours looks absolutely perfect!

The Vegan Chick said...

Wow, those nachos look so yummy, now I'm hungry!

And the cupcakes look great too :)