Sunday, March 11, 2007

Seitan Roast with Collards and Sweet Potato Biscuits

This was a bit of an experimental Sunday dinner but it came out pretty good. The seitan roast was inspired by a recipe on the PPK forums and also something I saw on TV a long time ago. It's still an experiment so I didn't measure anything and I'm not sure I even remember exactly what I put in there but I mixed up some seitan with various seasonings then I rolled it out into a big rectangle. It took some work to get that stretchy seitan dough to roll out but once that was accomplished I spread on a mixture of agave, mustard and nutritional yeast and rolled it up. Then I wrapped it in foil and baked it and while that was happening I made a basic gravy to go on top. We also had collards and some yummy sweet potato biscuits that Darlene made from a recipe in a back issue of Vegetarian Times that we dug out. We haven't posted many recipes here lately so just for you I'll plagiarize this one:

Sweet Potato Biscuits
(from Vegetarian Times, Mar-99)

2/3 c. soy milk
2 tsp. lemon juice
1 c. whole wheat pastry flour
1 c. all purpose flour
1 Tbs. sugar
1 Tbs. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 c. safflower oil
1 c. cooked, mashed sweet potatoes

Preheat oven to 450. Combine soy milk and lemon juice in a small bowl and set aside. In another bowl sift together the flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a large bowl combine the oil and sweet potatoes then alternately add the dry ingredients and soy milk mixture to the sweet potatoes to form a soft dough. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead briefly. Pat dough into a 12 x 9 inch rectangle and cut with a biscuit cutter. Place on a baking sheet about 1/2 in. apart and bake 8-10 minutes or until golden.

8 comments:

Fairly Odd Tofu Mom said...

So how was the seitan? I've thought about trying something similar - I have mixed results with seitan recipes, some turn out wonderfuland others are...eh... not to be repeated...

Great blog, I just discovered it and will have to stop by again...

Chris said...

Thanks for stopping by! The seitan was very good but not out-of-this-world spectacular, which is where I'm hoping it will go as I keep futzing with the recipe.

Veg-a-Nut said...

your roast looks yummy. I have to try those biscuits

jess (of Get Sconed!) said...

I just blogged about the same experience! I changed the spices a bit too, but didn't have any problems rolling out, but then again I halved the recipe, so maybe that helped? I added a lot of pepper to mine, liquid smoke and downplayed the cumin, it really wasn't the vibe I was going for.
Anywhoo, yours still looks great!

Twisted Cinderella said...

Your dinner looks wonderful. I am definitely going to save that biscuit recipe.

laura jesser said...

I LOVE sweet potato biscuits! I haven't had one in ages--thanks so much for the recipe!

Linda said...

mmm i love seitan!

Mikaela said...

Oh, wow - those biscuits sound aw3esome! Thanks for sharing the recipe :)