Saturday, March 24, 2007

Teriyaki Tempeh with Kale

I'm trying to find more good recipes in Vegan Planet before we have to give it back to the library and this Teriyaki-Glazed Tempeh looked like it was worth a try. Plus there was the added bonus that we had all the ingredients on hand. It was pretty simple too - tempeh marinated in a mixture of soy sauce, orange juice, garlic, sesame oil and maple syrup, then cooked in a skilled and glazed with the remaining marinade at the end. I added a little more orange juice at the end too and it came out great.

I figured the big bunch of kale we bought the other day would go well with this too, especially splashed with a little soy sauce and sesame oil. I mainly buy kale because I know it's good for you but cooked like this it was tasty as well. I simmered it in water with some Spike seasoning for about 20-30 minutes until it was very tender, then drained it and gave it a quick sauté in peanut oil with lots of garlic, then added the soy sauce and sesame oil. Perhaps the best thing about this meal though was that we ate it outside on our deck for the first time in several months. The calendar says it's barely Spring but it almost felt like summer today with the temperature topping out at close to 80 degrees.

9 comments:

Don't Get Mad Get Vegan! said...

this is so funny, i feel like i'm food stalking you guys...first i was inspired to make your orange seitan, then i was, coincidentally, in the mood for burritos the other day, and tonight? my Vegan Planet is open as i type this to that very recipe as it sounded like a yummy way to make the tempeh i've been wanting to use.

i kid you not.
;)

Chris said...

I hadn't read any blogs for several days but I did just notice your burrito post. I guess great minds think alike?

springsandwells said...

Yeah!
That's my kind of meal. I love tempeh so much, and I think that Tempeh & Greens is a great combo. It cracked me up when you said that you mostly just buy kale because you know it's good for you. I totally know what you mean. I've learned to enjoy it quite a bit - but I still always feel very pleased with myself for buying it!

Veg-a-Nut said...

Your dish looks wonderful. I might have to try that recipe with tofu. I am sure it would work. I love Kale. So good for us Too!

Veg-a-Nut said...

Your dish looks wonderful. I might have to try that recipe with tofu. I am sure it would work. I love Kale. So good for us Too!

Twisted Cinderella said...

Yummy! That looks wonderful!

jess (of Get Sconed!) said...

That is absolutely my type of meal.

flyingjoslini said...

I'm always buying kale too...I have to sneak it into sandwiches or sautee it with garlic to get it into my diet. Thanks for the idea..I've been trying to find a different dish to use my block o' tempeh in.

Christine said...

Have you tried baked kale? It is my absolute favorite way to have it. But I feel the same, I'm not sure it's something I'd be craving if I didn't know it was good for me