Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Black Beans and Quinoa

Ah, the 'ol vegan staple - beans and rice. Or this slight variation on that theme. We needed a quick meal tonight since we were heading out to the hospital to see our baby niece, born early this morning. I know I found a recipe recently that called for zucchini because I bought some a few days ago, but then I couldn't remember where the recipe was. So I made one up. I also had cooked up a pound or so of black beans recently and a portion of those were in the fridge, along with the bottom of a jar of crushed tomatoes and a small bunch of cilantro so the beans and rice idea started coming together. Since it had to be quick I went for the white rice but I noticed that that container was a little low and the container of quinoa was full so it turned into beans and quinoa (which is also quick to cook and probably better for you than white rice anyway).

While the quinoa cooked I sautéed diced onion, carrot and zucchini, then added garlic, paprika, cumin, oregano and salt & pepper. Then the crushed tomatoes and a handful of chopped cilantro and that went on top of the quinoa along with some more cilantro and some avocado. And it all came together in about 25 minutes.

4 comments:

Veg-a-Nut said...

Wow, that looks great. I love quinoa. It is so much better for you than white rice. Protein yummy! Congrats on your new niece.

bazu said...

Congratulations on your baby niece! How nice that you got to see her. And there's a reason beans & rice (or quinoa) are a staple- they are damn tasty!

Elana said...

What a great meal! And so quick to prepare too. Hmm I have some quinoa languishing in the pantry...

The Geographical Vegan Says... said...

great use of avocado, and the quinoa is a good staple to have on hand for when your gluten-free friends drop by unexpectedly.
(I've posted a recent vegan gluten-free meal, a fun challenge to undertake, on today's posting)

happy munching