Monday, April 30, 2007

Dosadillas

I bookmarked this recipe the first time I flipped through Quick-Fix Vegetarian. We love South Indian food, especially crispy potato-filled dosas, but it's hard to make authentic dosas at home. We've tried with packaged mixes and from scratch but you really need to have the right equipment and a practiced technique. We have done potato quesadillas in the past and those are quite easy. Robin Robertson's meshing of these two finger foods (there's also a very similar recipe in the latest VegNews) isn't exactly authentic but it is easy to make. I didn't end up following the recipe exactly but it was close enough. (Mainly I used more onions and also added black mustard seeds.) Basically you fry some onions, add some curry spices, mash in some potatoes and add peas. Then you fill half a tortilla with this mixture fold it over and fry it until it's brown on both sides. They're good plain or with your favorite chutney. A couple of these babies and a big salad and we were stuffed.

10 comments:

aTxVegn said...

Mmmm, I love south Indian food and these look awesome. Great name, too!

The Geographical Vegan Says... said...

It *is* hard to make Dosa at home! I've found the cookbook "mango and curry leaves" to be really invaluable for South Indian cooking techniques. They also have brilliant chutney and sambar recipes.

Thanks for the tips!

springsandwells said...

Oh yeah, I saw that recipe in the VegNews and it caught my eye. We have a great little vegan South Indian spot here, I love it so much.

and I agree, you GOTTA have black mustard seeds!

Veg-a-Nut said...

These look delicious! Good job!

william said...

I've made dosas a few times and found them to be easy. In fact, I'm going to make them again tonight to go with something much like what you made (the potato/pea/panir recipe from The Enchanted Broccoli Forest that my fiancee likes to make). Maybe just try a different recipe?

Megan the Vegan said...

this looks great. I just love indian food, but I really have little experience making it at home. This looks simple enough..I'll go for it.

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I have Quick Fix too and I think this was the first recipe I made as well...I love tortillas and potatoes so was drawn to the combo. They are so easy and delicious and also really good for breakfast. Love your blog!

Jill

bazu said...

Mmmmm, potatoes, peas, and curry, wrapped in a tortilla. If loving this is wrong, I don't want to be right. ;-)

Vanessa said...

I second Bazu - this looks fantastic and a lot quicker than making your own dosa dough! I've made this before with cheese (vegetarian, not strictly vegan) which helps it stick together.

Anonymous said...

Actually these are closer of an Indian Alu (potatoe) parantha.
Gursharan