Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Lentil Salad

When we made Pad Thai recently we based it on a recipe in a back issue of Vegetarian Times. I flipped through that same issue and came across a lentil salad recipe that sounded good so I kept it handy. I ultimately adapted the recipe based on what we had on hand but it came out really good. It was pretty simple to put together too. I covered 2 cups of French lentils with water in a pot and boiled them until tender, about 20 minutes. While that was going on I put all this stuff into a big bowl:

2 avocados, diced
1 large carrot, shredded
1/2 c. chopped pitted kalamata olives
4-5 chopped scallions
small handful chopped marinated mushrooms
about 1/4 c. crumbled soy feta

When the lentils were done I drained them, rinsed with cold water, then added them to the bowl along with about 1/4 c. each olive oil and red wine vinegar. I seasoned with salt & pepper and that was it, a hearty meal.

4 comments:

aTxVegn said...

I love anything with lentils! This salad looks so good. Adding the avocado is brilliant!

laura jesser said...

I'm so going to try this.... mmmm. Love my lentils!

wakeful dreamer said...

I tried a variation of this last night and it was awesome. The avocado was surprisingly tasty - actually it was my favorite part!

Thanks for the inspiration!

MrsQ said...

Wow - this was so simple, but soooo good! We were totally out of lentils, so I used black beans. It worked really well.
Definitely a keeper