Sunday, April 15, 2007

Pizza and Bread Sticks

Everyone's raving about the Seitan O' Greatness and Susan's veggeroni and with good reason. We made the veggeroni this weekend and it came out great. It was tasty on sandwiches but of course pizza is the obvious choice. In addition to the seitan pepperoni our pie was topped with broccoli, avocado and a little Sunergia soy feta. Sunergia is a local company that now distributes their soy foods nationally. The soy feta is a relatively new product and the Tomato-Garlic flavor we picked up was scrumptious. It's a bit pricey for us so we don't get it very often but we splurged this time.

Back to the pizza, as I did this time I often use the pizza dough recipe from Vegan with a Vengeance but I think this was the first time I've also used Isa's pizza sauce recipe (which was most excellent). The dough recipe will make two pizzas but we decided to make one pie and used the other half of the dough for bread sticks. For dipping our stix we used some extra pizza sauce and also an agave-mustard sauce that Darlene whipped up with, well, agave and mustard, plus just a touch of vinegar. All in all a very satisfying meal.

7 comments:

laura jesser said...

That's quite a tasty looking pizza there... I loved the Seitan O'Greatness, and maybe next time I will try Susan's version. We always use Isa's dough and sauce recipes--they're our favorites for sure. How many times I have been tempted to make breadsticks with the extra dough--next time I just might have to!

springsandwells said...

fun!
Veggieroni is high on my to-do list. It looks so tasty and fun. And, like you, pizza was just what came to mind!

Also, I love the breadsticks... mmmmm!

Julie said...

Nothing better than pizza!

Man, I gotta try that seitan recipe.

Twisted Cinderella said...

Sounds wonderful! I can't wait to make some vegan pizza myself.

Mikaela said...

Sungeria makes some seriously yummy smoked/flavored tofu :)

bazu said...

Pizza night is always a fun event around here. I like the idea of using the extra dough for breadsticks. I am ready to make my second log o'seitan and this time, it will definitely go on a pizza.

Chris said...

Yes they do Mikaela - definitely different than your standard white blob.

Definitely try the veggeroni Laura, Amey & Julie. And the bread sticks were definitely a fun treat too, especially with the agave-mustard sauce.

Thanks T.C. we do love us some vegan pizza. Bazu - it seemed a little unoriginal to do the veggieroni pizza but I just had to. And it was worth it :)