Friday, April 13, 2007

Salad Wraps

This salad-in-a-wrap is an idea I got while flipping through Quick Fix Vegetarian and seeing a recipe for something like this. I got some red chile tortillas and piled on lettuce, shredded carrots, avocado, and fried tofu. Then a little drizzle of lemon vinaigrette we had in the fridge went on top and we wrapped 'em up. I think this was even quicker to prepare than last night's gnocchi. For the tofu, I just thinly sliced a few pieces from a larger block, then fried them in peanut oil and added a Braggs/cider vinegar/maple syrup mixture at the end. We're going to a family gathering tomorrow and Darlene made a huge batch of pasta salad with a yummy agave-mustard dressing to bring but we also had a little of that on the side tonight.

This was a nice light meal but that's what I needed after my cookie indulgence this afternoon. I was still feeling a bit hungry after lunch so I walked down to Whole Foods looking for a treat and I came back with a package of Liz Lovely cookies. Now there's two huge cookies in there and most people would be satisfied with one but once I ate the first one the second one was looking up at me all alone so I finished that one off too. It was only after my feast that I looked at the package and saw that one serving contained 210 calories and that was for half a cookie. So down the hatch went 840 calories in a matter of minutes. Of course my heart rate monitor tells me I can burn upwards of 1800 calories in a single hard bike ride but that usually only happens once or twice a week. Still, those Cowgirl Cookies were damn tasty...

5 comments:

jenny said...

Those cookies are my downfall as well - its oo hard to eat just one!

The wraps look good!

jess (of Get Sconed!) said...

I agree, those cookies are amazing. Bay far the best 'homemade' type packaged vegan cookie.

laura jesser said...

Ooh, heaven on a wrap! Looks so delish.

bazu said...

That salad wrap and pasta salad look like they would really hit the spot right now- very refreshing.
I haven't tried Liz Lovely cookies yet, but I just have to say, you are lucky you are a guy, Chris! 1800 calories is about my limit for a day- ha ha. Hey, as long as you enjoyed them, that is what matters.

Chris said...

Thanks everyone!

Sometimes it is for me too Bazu :) Just depends on how much I'm riding. I've heard it said that riders in the Tour de France (and of course in other long races) will eat on the order of 6000 calories in a day. I have a friend who raced as a pro for many years and I remember hearing from him once that during a particularly long stage race he was eating a quart of ice cream a day to keep from losing too much weight.