Friday, April 27, 2007

Split Pea Alecha and Gomen

The last time I tried making Ethiopian food the results were tasty but not very authentic. This time was better but still not quite there in the authenticity department. Although in this case there's an easy remedy. I'd been wanting to try the Ethiopian recipes in Vegan Lunch Box and recently I also saw a recipe for Gomen (collard greens) from our local Ethiopian restaurant Mesob published in the C-ville weekly. From Vegan Lunch Box I made the Split Pea Alecha, a thick spicy stew. Well it's supposed to be thick. The flavor was very good but for my split peas anyway, the recipe called for too much water and I ended up with more of a soup. A good soup, but not something you can pick up with your injera (spongy flatbread) and eat with your hands. Well no matter, because though I do want to try my hand at making injera one of these days there's no teff flour to be found in these parts so I ended up making flat breads from Trader Joe's whole wheat pizza dough. We had the split peas in a bowl with the gomen mounded in the middle and the bread on the side. And though it didn't quite feel like being in an Ethiopian restaurant it was quite a scrumptious meal.

5 comments:

Veg-a-Nut said...

i love split pea soup and yours looks great! I love getting ideas from your blog.

Chris said...

thanks veg-a-nut!

Christine said...

looks yummy even if not particularly ethiopian! strangely enough, our local ethiopian place is also called mesob.

I happened to find teff flour at whole foods and have been contemplating making injera... but I have the idea that I will fail spectacularly. maybe one day...

aTxVegn said...

That looks nice and spicy! Ethiopian is one cuisine I have yet to try.

Chris said...

Christine, that's because a mesob is the traditional woven tabletop where you'd have your meal in Ethiopia.

Tx - I don't imagine there are many Ethiopian restaurants in Texas but if you have a chance to go to one you absolutely should.