Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Almond Crusted Seitan

The last time we were at Trader Joe's we picked up some almond meal, though we weren't entirely sure what we'd do with it. But now I'm here to tell you that using it as a breading is awesome! And if you can't find any, it's just finely ground almonds so buy whole almonds and take them for a good spin in your food processor (just make sure you stop before they become almond butter). We seasoned the almond meal with paprika, salt and pepper, then breaded seitan with it pan fried our concoction. What ended up working well for the breading was to lightly coat the seitan with flour, then dip it into plain soy milk, then coat it with the almond meal. We fried it in a little bit of canola oil and it came out with a wonderful depth of flavor that a flour breading just doesn't have. All we needed were some collards on the side and we were very content.

10 comments:

springsandwells said...

wow! that sounds *awesome*. I have been having some major seitan cravings. I think I'll make some tomorrow. I got my veggie broth all ready...

:)

Emmie said...

Sounds awesome and looks awesome too. Almond goes on the list for next weeks food shopping.

SusanV said...

I'm really interested in trying this. Do think it would work to bake it in the oven?

Chris said...

Thanks Emmie!

We've been having a lot of seitan lately too Amey. Darlene likes it chopped up on salads.

I'm sure it would Susan. Maybe just give it a light spritz with oil first (though maybe it would even be OK without that).

Vegan_Noodle said...

Great idea! I have some leftover almond meal froma baking recipe and have been wondering what to do with it. Maybe I'll add some chopped up almonds as well. Looks delicious, thanks!

Don't Get Mad Get Vegan! said...

this is such a great idea, can't wait to try it on the seitan at home awaiting our return.

yum!

bazu said...

Wow, very gourmet. Trader Joe's also has hazelnut meal, right? Remind me to look for almond meal next time I'm there- it seems like the best breading idea!

Chris said...

Well Bazu, remind me to look for the hazelnut meal. That might help with the vegan Nutella recipe I was working on a long time ago...

Brooke said...

That's a great idea, using almond meal as a seitan breading option! Right on!

Vanessa said...

I think I'm a nut addict and I think this might be my new favorite fix... thanks for the inspiration!