Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Carob Fruit Bars

Having run out of Clif bars and not wanting to spend the money to buy more at the moment, I set about looking for a recipe for some kind of vaguely similar homemade snack bar. Then it hit me: Darlene's Carob Fruit Bars! She created this recipe long before we met but we made it quite often when we first got together. It's been a very long time since we made it but I found a tattered copy of the recipe in the back of our recipe folder. We made a few updates as we went but they came out to be quite tasty and also brought back some memories. These contain dried apples and raisins but you could use any dried fruit and/or add some nuts too. I'm thinking maybe next time we'll throw in some dried cranberries and chopped walnuts too. But here's the recipe as it stands now:

1/2 c. hot water
1/2 c. golden raisins
1/2 c. chopped dried apple

2 c. rolled oats
1 c. all purpose flour
3/4 c. whole wheat pastry flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 c. turbinado sugar
1/2 c. apple sauce
1/4 c. canola oil
2 Tbs. ground flax seeds
3 Tbs. water
1/2 c. carob chips

Preheat the oven to 375°. Lightly coat a shallow 8" x 11" baking dish with cooking spray and set aside. In a small bowl combine the hot water, raisins and apples and set aside for 5-10 minutes. In a large bowl mix together the oats, flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and sugar. In a medium bowl combine the apple sauce, oil, flax and water and mix well. Add the apple sauce mixture and the dried fruit and soaking water to the dry ingredients and mix just until everything is moistened. The mixture will be fairly stiff. Fold in the carob chips, spread into the baking dish and press lightly. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the top is lightly browned and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Allow to cool completely then cut into squares.

5 comments:

VeganCyclist said...

HOORAY! I love making my own bars--although sometimes clif bars are on sale very reasonably priced, and then I stock up!
thanks for the recipe!

Molly said...

This recipe looks great, and I was going to try to make some of these, but I have a question. I don't think I've ever heard of turbinado sugar. Is that a brand or a specific type? Also, would brown sugar work as well?

Chris said...

thanks vegancyclist... the last batch of clif bars I got from Amazon for a decent price but I agree it's fun making your own too.

Hi Molly - turbinado is a coarse, less refined sugar that you can often find at natural foods stores. But any sugar should work, including brown sugar.

aTxVegn said...

I am definitely going to try this recipe. It looks fabulous!

The Vegan Chick said...

Wow, those are probly a lot cheaper than Clif bars, I have to try these.

~ Allie
http://aveganlife.blogspot.com