Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Chickpea and Sweet Potato Koftas

This is a recipe we used to make on occasion but hadn't done in quite a while. And it's from a cookbook we haven't had out in quite a while too, Mollie Katzen's Vegetable Heaven. I cooked a big batch of chickpeas over the weekend and we had sweet potatoes on hand so I though of this recipe. Long story short, cook a medium sweet potato then mix it in a food processor with 1 1/2 c. chickpeas, 1 clove garlic, 2 scallions, 2 tsp. cumin seed, 1 Tbs. minced fresh ginger, 1 tsp. salt and 2 Tbs. lemon juice. Transfer to a bowl then add 6 Tbs. flour and 1 c. peas. Form into patties (they'll be a little soft) and fry in a little olive oil until brown on both sides. I remember serving these with some sort of coconut curry sauce in the past but this time I went with a modified version of the suggested Mediterranean Yogurt, also from Vegetable Heaven. I mixed garlic, fresh herbs (mint, dill, parsley, thyme & chives), golden raisins, a couple of dried apricots, and walnuts together in the food processor then mixed that together with a container of plain soy yogurt. Not something I would've thought about doing but it was very good with these patties - especially refreshing with the mint. And we rounded out the plate with some local kale, cooked with lots of garlic of course.

3 comments:

Johanna3 said...

looks great!

maybepigscanfly said...

sweet potato and chick peas... 2 of my favorite foods that I never thought to put together like this. Great Ideas! And I sure do love that Kale (I can't seem to get enough of it!)

-Tersea

Isil Simsek said...

this look yummy and I want to try it out.Do you bake the potatoes?