Friday, May 11, 2007

Coleslaw and More

The fridge was looking very sparse last night but we did have a head of green cabbage and we almost always have carrots on hand so I thought about coleslaw. I also noticed some French lentils, extra from when we made the lentil salad, and I figured that'd be good to have again. For the slaw, we were low on vegan mayo so I added extra mustard plus some agave and it came out really good. Rarely do we make the same thing two nights in a row, but tonight I figured I'd use up the other half of the cabbage so it was slaw again, this time with barbecued tofu (basically tofu cooked with bottled bbq sauce) and steamed broccoli. Since I used up the last of the mayo last night, I made the slaw the second time with soy yogurt and it still came out quite yummy. So here you go, my Low Fat Agave-Mustard Coleslaw:

1/2 head green cabbage, shredded
1 medium carrot, shredded
2 Tbs. minced dill pickle
2 Tbs. minced fresh chives
1/3 c. plain soy yogurt
2 Tbs. prepared yellow mustard
2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
1 Tbs. agave
1/4 tsp. celery seed
1/4 tsp. salt
fresh ground black pepper to taste

Are you expecting some involved instructions? How about, mix all this stuff together in a big bowl and eat.

3 comments:

bazu said...

I love cole slaw any which way- it's so evocative of summer for me... BBQ, picnics, cookouts...

Chris said...

Agreed! Next I want to try some Asian slaw... maybe with rice vinegar, sesame oil and napa cabbage.

BigFoot ? Marty said...

Love cabage and make about a ton every summer as city market has cabage heads.
Havegotten creative in past adding green apples and peaches and other fun stuff from the market.

As a new vegan it is even more fun to play now.

I have Irish roots and we ate cabage all the time as a kid but that boiled stuff was like chewing on a mop compared to the stuff I experiemtn with today.

Great work keep it up in C'ville .