Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Pasta with Asparagus and Seitan

Sometimes I try to plan several days worth of meals in advance and then go get whatever groceries we need for those meals. But there's also something to be said for just grabbing whatever looks good in the produce section and running with it. This past weekend we were at our local produce market and asparagus wasn't on our list but they had some very nice big bunches of locally grown asparagus that we couldn't pass up. The bunch was full of long slender stalks that once cooked were very tender with a subtle sweetness - the best asparagus we've had in a while. Some we had with our big Sunday breakfast and a little bit went on a salad yesterday. Tonight we finished it off with this pasta.

I chopped the asparagus and sautéed it with seitan in olive oil. Then I added garlic, scallions, and fresh oregano, along with salt & pepper. Finally, several tablespoons of balsamic vinegar went into the mix and about a tablespoon of agave. Tossed with pasta it was spring in a bowl.

7 comments:

springsandwells said...

oooh, that looks so good. right up my alley. It's been a little too long since I've had any seitan, I gotta cook up another batch!

Johanna3 said...

looks very good! i love asparagus.

Just call me Orangie said...

ooh this looks so good :) I wonder if this would be good without the seitan (I'm a celiac), I've got like 3+ pounds of asparagus I need to use up.

Chris said...

I'm sure it'd be great w/out the seitan Orangie. You could put in a little tofu or maybe pine nuts for extra texture.

jess (of Get Sconed!) said...

oh yum, why do I never eat seitan with pasta? Well, at least non-seitan o greatness...

Chris said...

I don't know Jess... it's definitely good ;-)

BigFoot ? Marty said...

Wha is the best VEGAN pasta brand?

I have found some but so far it is about 50-50 for taste or bite.

As a runner I love pasta but wantto avoid the dairy/eggs.

great stuff here though...

Marty