Sunday, May 13, 2007

Strawberry Pancakes

How sweet it is that strawberry season is upon us again. We hadn't gone to pick our own strawberries in many years but yesterday that's what we did. A thunderstorm put a slight damper on our picking but we still came home with a big flat full of fresh berries. Darlene's going to make jam with most of them but we definitely had to have some fresh ones too. I imagine it's been done before but last night I had the idea to make pancakes for breakfast and blend some fresh strawberries in with the soy milk I used for the batter. These came out delicious and I wrote down the recipe so I could make it again - and share it with you of course!

1 c. soy milk
1 c. fresh strawberries
2 Tbs. ground flax seeds
3 Tbs. canola oil
3 Tbs. water
1 c. all purpose flour
1/2 c. whole wheat pastry flour
1 Tbs. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 Tbs. sugar
1/4 tsp. salt

Blend soy milk, berries, flax, canola oil and water in a blender. Add to all the dry ingredients that you've mixed together in a big bowl. Use a quarter or third cup measure to drop them in a lightly greased skillet and cook until they're nice and brown on both sides. We served ours with more fresh strawberries, a drizzle of maple syrup and a dusting of powdered sugar.

12 comments:

aTxVegn said...

Hooray for strawberry season! I can't get enough of them these days. Was it fun picking strawberries? I've been thinking about doing that too.

The pancakes look incredible!

GreenBeliever said...

Wow what a brilliant idea, blending the strawberries into the batter. And thanks for posting the recipe, we're huge pancake fans at my house :)

Anonymous said...

i love yr blog! you guys inspired me to start my own. check it out, if you'd like:
my vegan food blog

Anonymous said...

my link didn't work, but if you go to www.livejournal.com my username is museone

evol,
lori

Julie said...

Those look fabulous! I gotta leave that recipe around the house so maybe my boyfriend will get the hint ;)

Chris said...

Indeed it was fun aTx - you should give it a try.

Thanks greenbeliever - we love us some pancakes too ;-)

I like your blog Lori... let's try this link.

You do that Julie - hopefully he's the hint-taking type ;-)

VegMama said...

Where can I go strawberry picking? I just moved to charlottesville...
These pancakes look awesome!

springsandwells said...

oh wow! What a great idea! I can't wait to try this! It's fun picking strawberries, isn't it? We live in a major strawberry producing area, so ever since I was pretty little, my friends and I have gone berry picking on my birthday. This year, I'll definitely make some strawberry pancakes!

Anonymous said...

wow! you rock Chris! I am new to both the blog and linking thing.

lori

Chris said...

Welcome to C-ville vegmama! We went to Critzers, near Afton. You can find info on them and a few other U-pick places here.

VegMama said...

Thanks for the tip!

funwithyourfood said...

You know- there's PLENTY of cherries here, i bet this would be good with those too!