Saturday, May 26, 2007

Tempeh with Orange-Ginger Sauce

The vegan cookbook selection at our library is a little bit lacking but today we did find a copy of The Millennium Cookbook. I decided that we hadn't had tempeh in a while so I flipped through the book looking for a relatively simple tempeh recipe and settled on this one. Incidentally, there are some simple recipes in this book but also some very involved ones, which I guess is what you'd expect from a restaurant as renowned as Millennium.

At any rate, here the tempeh is crusted with an herb/flour mixture, pan fried and served with an excellent sauce made with orange juice, onion, garlic, tamari, capers, crushed red pepper and fresh ginger (and also orange segments but I left those out rather than running to the store to buy an orange). The sauce is reduced on the stove top for a bit then thickened further with cornstarch. On the side we had steamed broccoli and brown rice, jazzed up slightly with onion, carrot and vegetable stock. Everything was scrumptious and it's a rare occasion when we have the traditional protein, starch and vegetable all on one plate.

4 comments:

Tamara said...

That looks SO yummy. :-) Now I'm hungry...

b36Kitchen said...

i flip through the millenium cookbook all the time and i don't recall ever seeing this recipe!! I love orange sauce. I'm going to go look it up right now.

JENNA

Lisa said...

whoa. that looks amazing and I have tempeh in the fridge.

Fairly Odd Tofu Mom said...

I bread and pan-fry extra-firm tofu and use the same sauce... it's won a lot of tofu-haters over... and my kids LOVE it which is always a good thing....