Monday, May 28, 2007

Veggie Burgers and Cupcake Mania

We went to a family gathering yesterday and although Darlene's mom tries to be accommodating as far as food goes, we usually end up bringing at least some of our own food on such occasions. Since burgers were on the menu we decided to make our own veggie burgers. Since I haven't made bread in quite a while this was also a perfect occasion to try a recipe for burger buns I just saw in the Washington Post. I don't think I've ever made buns like this before and I was a bit apprehensive about whether they'd come out good, but in the end they were excellent. I definitely recommend this recipe; they're way better than anything you buy in a plastic bag.For the veggie burgers I turned to a back issue of Vegetarian Times and a recipe for Tempeh-Walnut Burgers. In addition to the namesake ingredients, there was also Dijon mustard, soy sauce, onion, garlic, celery, fresh rosemary and kalamata olives in there. They held together very well on our grill pan and tasted fabulous on the fresh buns with some horseradish spiked vegan mayo, lettuce and tomato.

And as we often do, we brought cupcakes for dessert. Darlene started with the Apricot-Glazed Almond cuppers from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World, and they were so good she decided to make another batch. We had some leftover pumpkin in the fridge so she went with the Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cupcakes with Cinnamon Icing. Like a mini pumpkin pie that you hold in your hand. Sooo good...

Finally, Darlene's sister Kristen, though not vegan, is also getting in on the cupcake action since we got her a copy of Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World for her birthday. She just sent us pictures of her latest creations, Raspberry Vanilla, and Peanut Butter Cupcakes. Yum!

11 comments:

Veg-a-Nut said...

Your buns and burgers look wonderful. VCTOTW are always the bomb!

Johanna3 said...

thanks bun looks amazing! what a great job!

cute muffins! also her sister make a great job too.

aTxVegn said...

Thanks for the recipe link. I have yet to make good burger buns and this looks like the ticket. What a yummy family meal!

Chris said...

Thanks veg-a-nut & Johanna!

atxvegn - One thing I forgot to mention is that I used a whole packet of regular active dry yeast instead of the instant yeast and they came out fine that way.

bazu said...

You are right- your buns do look better than the squished stuff in a bag. And what can I say about all the cupcakes? Gorgeous!

jess (of Get Sconed!) said...

Those look perfect! I've bookmarked that recipe.

Johanna3 said...

looks great!

Heather said...

on the Wash Post recipe for the buns, it says 293 calories PER BUN. Do you think that's correct? What could be adding all those calories? A regular slice of wheat bread only has 90... They do look good!

Chris said...

I didn't even notice that Heather but I suppose it's because they're rather large and also because of the olive oil.

springsandwells said...

Isn't it fun to make home made hamburger buns? I've only done it once, but I loved it.

Also, I LOVE those apricot almond cupcakes. I think the peanut ones will be on my list sometime soon.

:)

lotta said...

I made the bun and I loved it.
Thank you very much.