Thursday, June 21, 2007

Chard and Chickpea Curry

I can't believe we had yet to try the Chickpea and Spinach Curry recipe from Vegan with a Vengeance. I guess we usually go our own way with curries but the VwaV recipe is definitely worth a try. We didn't have spinach on hand but we did have a big bunch of chard which makes a fine substitution for spinach. The only thing about chard is you have to make sure you separate the stems and either save them for something else or cook them separately. I left a little too much of the stems on and they were a bit woodsy but overall it was still a very good meal.

2 comments:

Judith MacCaellich-Young said...

Spinach and chickpea curry - one of my favourites...Yum. :)
You replaced the spinach with chard, is that kale by another name or another cabbage family member?
Sad isn't it, lots of great recipes, and we Brits and Americans are divided by a common language and different vegetable names!
I always try to put all known name variants in my blog, but have never heard of chard! :)

Chris said...

Hi Judy... Chard (aka swiss chard) is a tender green that cooks pretty quickly like spinach. It's actually in the beet family (which I learned from this wiki article).