Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Ethiopian Food, Take 3

The last time we did this Cherie pointed us to her recipe for misir wat which looked very scrumptious. I also said that I wanted to try making injera with sourdough starter instead of commercial yeast. Well I'm off work this week and cooking a lot and I decided I wanted to break out the sourdough starter and make bread. Then I figured since the starter was all fed and active I might as well try the injera again. For the injera I followed the Vegan Lunch Box recipe again but instead of the yeast I used 1/2 cup of sourdough starter and I let the batter ferment for about 5 hours. This method worked well and though the result was very similar to last time, this version did have a slight tang from the sourdough. Still not totally authentic but getting closer.

To eat with our injera I made the Gomen (collard greens) again and also Cherie's misir wat which was indeed awesome. (I don't know if the berbere seasoning mix is available locally but I just Googled it and found a recipe that I tweaked for my purposes.) Can you tell I'm really into this making Ethiopian food at home thing? Our local Ethiopian restaurant isn't in danger of losing our business because this definitely isn't up to their level, but still it's pretty good for making it at home.

3 comments:

Lizard Princess said...

I'm very interested in Ethiopian food because our family has been sponsoring a boy from Ethiopia for over 6 years now.
I have tried to look up a couple recipes, but either they didn't work out, or my taste buds need to get used to their food!
I have been longing to get to an Ethiopian resteraunt so I can see what the professionals do!

Chris said...

That's great lizard princess. We first had Ethiopian food at a hole-in-the-wall restaurant in Denver many many years ago and it was so good we've sought out Ethiopian restaurants ever since. When we first moved here there wasn't one here but now that one has opened we try to get there at least every once in a while.

It's been a little difficult to find recipes that are at least reasonably authentic for cooking at home but this latest try is relatively close.

jill said...

I love your blog, and I just started my own, so I thought I'd share the address.

let me know what you think!

http://northernvegan.blogspot.com/