Friday, June 29, 2007

Mushroom and Tempeh Stew

We were up in Northern Virginia last weekend and that means a trip to Trader Joe's. On a whim I picked up a nice looking package of fresh mixed mushrooms - creminis, oysters and shiitakes. I wasn't sure what I'd do with them but last night I started flipping through various cookbooks to get ideas. When I started dinner tonight I still didn't have a clear plan of attack. I was tempted to crack open a cookbook and follow a recipe but I resisted that urge and pressed onward. And what I came up with was awful good if I do say so myself.

It started with chopping up a package of tempeh and marinating it in a mixture of Bragg's, cider vinegar, maple syrup and liquid smoke. Next up was coating the mushrooms with a bit of olive oil, salt and pepper and roasting them for a while in the oven. Then I got some brown rice started and headed out back to the garden to pick a little kale, thyme and chives. I sautéed some onion in olive oil, then added the kale (rather finely chopped), then garlic, thyme, paprika and the tempeh. Then about 2 cups of vegetable broth, got that boiling for a spell, then added a couple tablespoons of tomato paste. Next I added the roasted mushrooms, a diced roasted red bell pepper, and finally about a quarter cup of nutritional yeast. We had it over rice garnished with chives. Definitely a keeper.

5 comments:

Mark said...

Inspired! Tempeh and mushrooms make a great combination. I'm going to try this one, although without the nut. yeast (despite repeated attempts I can't get into it). Maybe with mushroom broth, or even with some truffle oil over the top!

Veg-a-Nut said...

Good for you making up such a lovely dish. I have yet to try tempeh. I really should.

Cherie said...

I'll take the tempeh and raise you three mushrooms! :)

VegMama said...

A couple of weeks ago I went on the Trader Joe's website and requested C'ville as a new location. We need one!
I love the combo of flavors you've got going on here. Though, for me, I might have to skip on the mushrooms :)

AJay said...

wanna say great posts you've got. found some posts in this site definitely worth adding to my bookmarks. thanks, keep it up.

jay
philippine recipes