Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Panko-Crusted Tofu with Lemon Caper Sauce

I was catching up on the Veg Blog the other day and I noticed a review of Quick-Fix Vegetarian, which I've already mentioned here a couple times before. Ryan's description of this tofu recipe made me grab our copy of Quick-Fix to check it out. I got around to making it tonight and we weren't disappointed. The best thing about it was we had all the ingredients on hand (well, minus the shallot but I just used a little bit of yellow onion). The panko (that would be Japanese bread crumbs) makes for a nice crispy crust and the lemon and capers make for a pleasantly tangy sauce.

On the side was an avocado that was at its prime (and you know how quickly avocados go past their prime), and also a little kale. The kale wouldn't normally be too exciting but this was the first thing we've harvested from our garden this year. That's all well and good but really I'm watching those little green tomatoes, just waiting for them to turn ripe.

12 comments:

springsandwells said...

you have little green tomatoes already!?

How wonderful!

Our tomato plants are still small... 12 inches or so. But I"m optimistic!

jess (of Get Sconed!) said...

delightful.

Chris said...

yes we do Amey. Most of our tomato plants are 3-4 ft. tall now but some of them are a little scraggly so we'll see.

Thanks Jess!

urban vegan said...

Sounds amazing--I like panko. Love tofu--marriage made in heaven, right?

Anita said...

Oh, this looks amazing...I think I know what I will try out for dinner! By the way, avocados, once ripe, can store successfully in the fridge for longer (I watch too much Alton Brown)

jill said...

I've had terrible luck getting panko to coat tofu without getting mushy or falling off. any tips?

Chris said...

Right you are urban vegan...

thanks for the tip Anita. I too watched too much Alton Brown until we ditched our cable. Though sometimes we do miss the food network.

I've had that problem too Jill. This time I completely covered the tofu pieces w/ the panko and pressed it in a little and that seemed to work OK.

bazu said...

I can practically taste this- or I wish I was tasting it right now!

Veg-a-Nut said...

Wow! All we have are little yellow flowers on our tomato plants. I can't wait for nice, ripe, yummy, homegrown tomatoes!

Your tofu looks yummy!

Lisa said...

That looks delicious.

theONLYtania said...

Wow that tofu looks great, and I like the perfect slices of avocado.

Melissa said...

hmmmm, I've been hearing so much about this quick fix vegetarian book. I may have to pick it up.