Sunday, June 03, 2007

Sunday Brunch, Sunday Dinner

It was a cool rainy day here today and we ended up inside doing a lot of cooking. We started with a hearty brunch starring Susan's Mini Crustless Tofu Quiches. I made these once before and they were awesome and after having them this morning I was glad I dug the recipe out again. We didn't have mushrooms on hand so I left those out of the recipe this time but we did have fresh spinach, the addition of which was most excellent. I made a quick sauce from the Uncheese Cookbook to go with them and we had hash browns and toast on the side.
Another interesting book we found during our last trip to the library was Joanne Stepaniak's Vegan Vittles. Her recipe for Unrolled Cabbage Rolls sounded pretty simple and like a good way to use up some cabbage we got at the farmers market last weekend. As the name implies, it's what you might find in a cabbage roll - onions, carrots, celery, garlic, rice & seasonings in a tomato based sauce - but the cabbage is chopped up and mixed in with everything else to form a stew. The main alteration I made to the recipe was using regular brown rice and cooking it beforehand instead of adding quick-cooking brown rice straight to the stew. At any rate, it was excellent, especially with a fat piece of homemade bread that Darlene and I made this afternoon. Darlene was also busy in the kitchen making an excellent phyllo apple pie that we had for dessert with coconut sorbet (though I didn't get a pic of that yummy treat).

4 comments:

springsandwells said...

Oh gee! I wish I could have been eating with you two today. It looks so good... homemade bread, veggies, quiches, hashbrowns, & a fancy dessert! YUM. Your hashbrowns are so beautiful. I can't figure it out at all. So, I'll just admire yours from afar! :)

Veg-a-Nut said...

I so agree with you and the quiches. They are a regular menu item at our home. Delish!. Hey I love the cabbage casserole. Wow! You have a much better library than we do. Slim pickens at my branch.

Homemade bread, the only way to go!

Chris said...

Thanks veg-a-nut! Our library does have a few vegan cookbooks but unfortunately nothing that's come out in the last 5 years (which is most of the good ones).

I'll do a how-to some time on the hash browns Amey :-)

Christine said...

I just made the mini-quiches the other day, and it hadn't occurred to me to put a sauce on them! Smart thinking :) I'll have to keep that in mind for next time!