Saturday, June 16, 2007

A Week of Breakfast

When I took this past week off work, I promised Darlene that I'd make breakfast for her every day. This started last Saturday with a relatively quick breakfast since we were on our way out to the farmers market and then I was heading out for a ride.

Oatmeal with blueberries, ground flax and maple syrup; mango lassi:

Sunday, Banana-Pecan pancakes from Vegan with a Vengeance:

Monday, Uppma, a South Indian snack I've posted about before:

Tuesday, an extra big breakfast since I was heading out for a long ride in the mountains afterwards. Fried potatoes and seitan; roasted asparagus and broccoli; whole grain toast with blueberry jam:

Wednesday, jelly donuts. This was actually more of a lunch since it took a few hours from start to finish but we'd been salivating over this recipe in Sinfully Vegan for a long time. It was worth the wait. We filled them with blueberry jam and they were fabulous.

So fabulous that this one deserves another picture:

Thursday, tofu scramble with toasted homemade bread:

Friday, Glazed Orange Scones and Carrot Raisin Muffins from Vegan with a Vengeance. I even got out Darlene's old teddy bear muffin pan for the muffins. It's not the easiest thing in the world to clean but it makes a cute muffin don't you think?

21 comments:

Don't Get Mad Get Vegan! said...

awesome.
what a great way to start each day of the week!

Emmie said...

Someone needs to make ME breakfast like that for a week. I better go yell at my man ;)

Melody Polakow said...

Yeah.. those muffins are too cute.

What a good guy you are.. your bfasts look great!

Julie said...

You win the nice guy of the year award! I must e-mail this post to my bf asap. Everything looks sooo yummy.

laura jesser said...

Wow, what a great week - I would love someone to do that for me. Breakfast is my favorite! And yes, the muffins are adorable!

Cherie said...

That scone is the cutest thing ever! Wow. I wonder if they have a garaffe pan.

maybepigscanfly said...

How cool to do up breakfast each day. Which was your favorite?

-Teresa

springsandwells said...

Chris!!!
This is so over-the-top wonderful! Right about now, I imagine that Darlene is about the luckiest girl in the world!! If only I could get Musty into this way of thinking! ALL of those breakfasts look so delightful, and all in such different ways - veggies, tofu, muffins, DONUTS!! Those jelly donuts are truly off the hook. Once again, you've amazed me. Right on!

Chris said...

Why thank you Amey... and everyone else! ::blushes::

You all do go have words with your significant others - it's not so hard to make breakfast once in a while. Unfortunately when I go back to work Monday it'll be back to oatmeal or cereal most mornings :-(

Oh, and Teresa, it's gotta be the donuts.

Johanna3 said...

Awesome post!

Anonymous said...

Oh I so want to marry you!

Can you tell me if you needed a deep fryer for the donuts:?

Brooke said...

Holy moly, that is one fantastic set of breakfasts!

Chris said...

Yes well I'm quite happily already married anonymous. But no you don't necessarily need a deep fryer for the donuts. We do our frying (very very carefully) in a 3 qt. saucepan with about 1 qt. of oil on the stovetop. You do need a thermometer that clips to the side of your pot because you want the oil to be at least 350° but definitely not over 400°.

Veg-a-Nut said...

Wow! what a great idea for your post. I love everything, especially the new twist for me on "cream of wheat". Oh, and the teddy bear muffins are so cute !

Good Job!!!

Mihl said...

Did I already tell you how much I like your blog? Especially the last posts about Ethiopian food were awesome! And those jelly donuts...yum!

theONLYtania said...

Realllly good looking breakfasts there! I can't believe you made those donuts! And you know what? I have that book.. I gotta make those.

aTxVegn said...

Aw, you are so sweet to do that for Darlene! I wanted to also let you know that I found one of your Tangerine Cinnamon Rolls in my freezer the other day - that I had made in January! - and I thawed it and ate it and it was still delicious!

Chris said...

Thank you veg-a-nut & mihl!

You do need to try the donuts tania. I'm thinking we might try the Boston cream ones next.

That's a nice surprise atxvegn! I'm glad it held up well in the freezer.

Vegan_Noodle said...

wow, a week of breakfast, I would be in heaven....

Darlene said...

Yes, I am very lucky girl. It was lots of fun last week to make a different breakfast every day. Now if we could just be on vacation every week. By the way, my favorites were the Banana-Pecan pancakes and of course the jelly donuts.

Vanessa said...

Darlene - I am so jealous! You ARE one lucky girl. They all look heavenly, and since I'm a savory-loving gal the tofu scramble and homemade bread (swoon!) look the best to me.