Thursday, July 05, 2007

Burgers, Coleslaw and Corn on the Cob

What could be more American for a July 4th dinner? Except our burgers were made from oats and mushrooms and there was vegan mayo in the slaw. Oh, and that's not cheese on top either but rather a spread pretending to be cheese (leftovers from the grilled uncheese sandwiches).

We just started subscribing to Vegetarian Times again and the burger recipes in the latest issue looked pretty good, especially the Chicago Diner recipe. Then I saw Don't Get Mad Get Vegan's post about them and I was sold. Especially since we had cabbage and fresh corn that we really needed to use. The burgers were mighty tasty, though I think I made 'em a little on the large side and they fell apart a little. They were actually better for lunch today so next time maybe I'll make them a day beforehand and let them sit in the fridge overnight. It was getting late so we just ate them straight from the oven, and I wasn't sure if they'd hold up to grilling anyway, but after sitting for a day I think they would.

5 comments:

VeggieGirl said...

wow, everyone seems to be making the Chicago Diner veggie burger recipe from Vegetarian Times - I'm dying to try it (despite my fear, as a new cook, of the burger patties falling apart). yours turned out terrific!

madeinalaska said...

yum, I just made those burgers a couple of days ago.. I will blog about them next week.. We did grill them (after baking)and the tin foil on the grill trick really worked ours didn't fall apart or stick to the grill. It is a lot of work but, oh soooo good!

Veg-a-Nut said...

Your burger looks wonderful. I bought that recipe and totally forgot about it for the 4th of July. Hey any day will work for vegan burgers!

bazu said...

I made those burgers last night, and I must have done something wrong, because to us they just tasted like savory baked oatmeal. Not too bad with all the fixin's, but... more oatmeal than burger.

Chris said...

I guess I noticed a slight oatmeal taste bazu but not significant. I probably did cook the mixture on the stove top for a little while longer than the recipe said so maybe that made a bit of a difference?