Sunday, July 01, 2007

The First Tomato

So what would you do with the first garden-fresh tomatoes of the season? Salad? BLT? How about a grilled cheese sandwich? Well, uncheese that is. I made the Grilled Cheeze from The Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook on homemade multi-grain bread with fresh-from-the-garden tomato slices. And we even had some sautéed zucchini from our garden on the side. Though the sandwich was excellent I'm a little uneasy about calling it a grilled cheese (or cheeze or uncheese or whatever). For many vegans Jo Stepaniak's uncheese recipes are great but obviously she hasn't tasted cheese in many years. Not that I have, but this stuff doesn't taste much like the cheese that I remember. Don't get me wrong, I think it tastes excellent - just not a lot like cheese. So what do you call it? I guess "grilled sandwich with a yummy creamy spread" is just not very concise.

At any rate, I also wanted to share a pic of our dessert, grilled peach pizza. Darlene and I came up with this recipe for a contest. It's a grilled pizza dough with minted vegan cream cheese and grilled peach topping. Wish us luck!

10 comments:

Serene said...

Lovely! Good luck.

(My partner has a nice, concise word for vegan cheeses: "Ewwwww!" :-)

SusanV said...

Good luck! It looks like a winner to me.

I'm with you on the "cheese" thing. I love nutritional yeast sauces but only call them "cheesy" for lack of a better word.

bazu said...

Good luck in the contest- that pie looks so summery and fantastic.

I am a vegan who's still holding out for something that deserves the name vegan cheese. The closest I've come is tofu ricotta.

Ah, and congrats on your first tomato of the season! Ours are still the size of walnuts or smaller.

Tofu Mom (AKA Tofu-n-Sprouts) said...

I am so with you on the whole "cheese" thing... I was disappointed in the cheeses in The UnCheese book at first but then when I accepted them for what they were - (as you said - ) tasty, creamy spreads... well then I liked the cookbook just fine.

Conrgats on your tomatoes. Ours here are still tiny yellow blossoms...

Don't Get Mad Get Vegan! said...

I've yet to come across a vegan cheeze sauce in the Ultimate cookbook that I like very much.

that peach pizza looks amazing!

Veg-a-Nut said...

Your tomatoes look wonderful! We have one cherry tomato that is just starting to turn. How are we going to share that tiny treat. lol..

I agree about the cheese dilemea. I don't miss cheese at all, but love nutritional yeast spreads.

I wish you good luck on your dessert. Sounds and looks wonderful.

PoeticJaffaCake said...

Hey, just found your blog and I like it alot, I've just recently turned vegan so I'm looking for inspiration everywhere! I'll keep my progess up dated in my blog while reading yours.
Great stuff!

Chris said...

I hope you continue on your vegan journey PoeticJaffaCake! And I hope you can find at least some bit of inspiration here.

veg-a-nut, we had the same thing a couple weeks ago - one lone ripe cherry tomato. I cut it in half and we shared. Kind of like our blueberry bush that we planted last year. It's still very small and we'll pick a tiny handful of berries from it and get 4 or 5 each.

Thanks dgmgv. I try to do like tofu mom says and accept them for what they are, creamy spreads, and then I like them. One thing though is that despite all the variations all the recipes still taste mostly the same to me.

Thanks Bazu, Susan & Serene. I for one think we as a vegan community need to come up with a better, original name for vegan cheese-like concoction.

Cherie said...

Oh, a dessert pizza! That looks great. I love peaches!

Christine said...

I have to say that I love the grilled cheese that you made; it's something I used to make a lot and I think it's really tasty. But you're right - cheese it's not. It's like the boxed mac & chreese from road's end organics - it's good in its own right, but absolutely nothing like cheese.