Sunday, July 29, 2007

Lotsa Zucchini

We already had a couple of good-sized zucchinis in our fridge and then we discovered this monster hiding in the garden. Now it wasn't quite as big as Bazu's mother of all zucchini but it did weigh in right at 2 pounds. I was already planning on making Susan's excellent Vindaloo Vegetables with the zucchini in the fridge. I mostly followed her recipe but since we had large zucchinis I left out the cauliflower. I also added fresh tomatoes and used white beans instead of kidney beans since that was what we had on hand. I made flatbreads to have on the side, which were really nothing more than store-bought pizza dough rolled out into small pieces and baked. When the breads first came out I couldn't stop dipping pieces of bread into the vindaloo sauce and scarfing them down, but eventually I served up the whole stew with all the veggies over rice with more bread on the side.

Then with our monster zucchini we did the Eggplant and Artichoke alla Napolentana from Vegan with a Vengeance, only with breaded and fried zucchini slices instead of the eggplant. That worked fine for me since I'm not a huge eggplant fan anyway. And the mellow zucchini was just right with the bold flavors of the artichokes, olives and capers in the ragout. We put a few cherry tomatoes on top and had garlic bread on the side and it was most excellent.

8 comments:

jess (of Get Sconed!) said...

Wait, *that* was hiding?? : )

Chris said...

Yup... Our zucchini plant has massively large leaves and it was underneath one of the big leaves.

Judith MacCaellich-Young said...

Owww that looks fabulous!
If you have lots of zuchini (courgettes to us Brits) why not try cooking then Scarpeze style? Lots of olive oil, garlic etc? I will be making that tomorrow so I can easily post the recipe.
Have fun ;)

VeggieGirl said...

great meal choices for the zucchini!! they look incredible!!

Vegan_Noodle said...

What a great idea to sub zucchini for eggplant for the Napoletana. I love that recipe but would definitely enjoy it more with that change up. The Vindaloo looks awesome, I've been eyeing that recipe as well!

bazu said...

Mmmm, what a great idea. Now, I can't wait to find another ginormous zuke to try that out with!

Kate said...

So yummy!

The Veggie Cookster said...

That looks yummy! Great blog! :)