Monday, July 09, 2007

Quick Barbecue

Last post I wrote about not wanting to heat up the kitchen, but yesterday I just forged ahead with turning on the oven and forcing the a/c to work overtime. I started with making these burger buns just to have on hand since we've still got some of the Chicago Diner veggie burgers in the freezer. Then I decided that tempeh baked with bottled barbecue sauce might be good on the buns. But before I got that going I remembered Dreena's recent post about home fries and I chopped up some potatoes and popped them in the oven (they were mixed with olive oil, fresh rosemary, salt & pepper). When there were about 30 minutes or so left for the fries I smothered tempeh in store-bought barbecue sauce and put that in the oven. And to get something green on the plate I did a quick sauté of a zucchini fresh from the garden.

What started out as just something thrown together quickly turned into quite a delicious meal. The tempeh was great, especially on the fresh buns, and the fries were some of the best I've made - probably because I was patient enough to let them get nice and brown and crispy. The freshness of the zucchini just topped it all off.

9 comments:

bazu said...

I love BBQ. That sounds like such a fantastic meal.

Vegan_Noodle said...

Yum, those home fries look wonderful. I've never had bbqed tempeh, but as everyone down here in Texas knows, bbq makes everything taste better!! Glad you got some green in as well, I always feel guilty without it...

Veg-a-Nut said...

Yum, dinner looks great! After all the talk on the blogs about those Chicago burgers I had to get the magazine. I will be trying them next week for sure. Home fries sure beat those fast food fries with hands down. :o)

jess (of Get Sconed!) said...

If you're willing to turn on your oven, I'm up for eating that!

aTxVegn said...

That does look delicious! Like vegan noodle said - barbecue on buns is a favortite here in Texas. I still want to try to make those buns. They look awesome.

Susan said...

Now I know what to do with the fresh rosemary I have left over from a recipe! I don't know why I didn't think of this on my own. It all looks amazing!

Anonymous said...

those potatoes look amazing!

lori

mark said...

That looks fantastic! Is there a particular brand of BBQ sauce that is especially good? And do you just pour it over the tempeh and bake? No other preparation? (BBQ ribs are the one thing I really still miss from my pre-veg days, so this is particularly intriguing!)

Chris said...

Thanks everyone!

Mark - There's no particular brand we use, just whatever's vegan and looks interesting. Lately we've been picking up whatever Trader Joe's kind looks good. And yes, in this case I just poured if over the tempeh and baked it.