Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Seitan, Squash and Two Salads

I'm not sure where it came from but lately I've had a hankering for a good old fashioned macaroni salad. You know, one with lots of mayonnaise and not much else. Lately we've been getting the accidentally vegan mayo from Trader Joe's because it tastes pretty good and isn't too expensive. So last night I finally made my salad with lots of the vegan mayo, a little Tofutti sour cream, carrots, celery, and homemade sweet pickles (from our abundance of garden cucumbers). I also added salt & pepper and the secret ingredient, based on a suggestion from Darlene, rice vinegar. It was every bit as good as I hoped, but since you can't live on macaroni salad alone, I also fried up some seitan that was coated with an almond meal mixture. But I didn't stop there because we still needed to use up some more abundance from the garden. So also on the side was sautéed squash and zucchini and a salad made with cucumbers, tomatoes, red onions, fresh oregano, olive oil, red wine vinegar, salt & pepper. Quite a change-up from our usual one-course meals, but a good one.

2 comments:

the pleasantly plump vegan said...

I made macaroni salad last week. I'll have to put some tofutti sour cream in next time. Mine wasn't creamy enough.

maybepigscanfly said...

wow this meal was full of fun dishes. Now I've got a hankering for macaroni salad. I can't believe I haven't had it since before going vegan!zpzpiy