Saturday, July 28, 2007

Spicy Udon Noodles

Here's another one from the depths of our recipe folder. This dates back to when we lived in Raleigh, NC and comes from Wellspring Grocery, which was a small local chain of natural food stores that was gobbled up by Whole Foods when they were expanding like crazy in the late 90's. At any rate, we used to make this fairly often and even had it at our wedding reception (which was a fairly low-key affair at our house). We hadn't done it in quite a while but it's still good - and simple too. This time we had it with steamed broccoli on the side. Here's my way of making it:

Cook an 8 oz. package of udon noodles according to the package directions. Drain, rinse well with cold water and set aside. Whisk together the following in a large bowl:

1 Tbs. Dijon mustard
1/4 c. sesame oil
1/4 c. soy sauce
1 tsp. grated fresh ginger
2 Tbs. finely minced cilantro
1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
cayenne pepper to taste

Toss the noodles with this mixture and serve cold or at room temperature with sesame seeds sprinkled on top. It's not in the original recipe but I also added a diced tomato just because we have so many from our garden now.

6 comments:

bazu said...

I'll take udon in any way, shape, or form.

laura jesser said...

That sounds delicious! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I love this stuff!
And I miss WellSpring.
They have been making something similar lately, at WF, but it has fish sauce in it. :(

I read your blog a lot, who knew you used to live here!


Liz

Chris said...

Fish sauce!?! WTF?? That's Whole Foods for you. At the one we have here I'd occasionally get vegan chocolate cookies from their bakery section but then a few weeks ago I noticed that the word "vegan" was absent from the sign and they had replaced the vegan cookies with ones that look the same but are filled with milk and eggs.

tam said...

I made the noodles for lunch today and they were fantastic and easy. A friend joined me and she loved them too. Thanks for the recipe!

Tam

Allie said...

yum yum!
i just discovered your blog and added it to my blog list. splendid looking food!