Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Zucchini Patties and Barley Salad

The one zucchini plant we put in our garden has started taking over. We're not completely overrun with zucchini but it has been producing pretty steadily. Which leaves us to come up with different ways of cooking it. It's good with pasta or just sautéed as a side dish, and I've made Susan's excellent zucchini muffins a couple times now. Tonight Darlene suggested that we grate it and make little fried patties; zucchini latkes if you prefer. So I grated a big zucchini and stirred in some egg replacer mixed with a little water, flour, nutritional yeast, baking powder, paprika, salt & pepper. Then I put little scoops of it into a fry pan with olive oil. Well, zucchini has a fairly high water content, and more moisture comes out when you cook it so my first attempt resulted in something that more resembled piles of goo. Oh, they were tasty piles of goo but it was enough to make me add quite a bit more flour to the remaining mixture and that was when I created the nice relatively firm patties you see in the picture.

Since we also have a plethora of tomatoes right now I diced some yellow cherry tomatoes and a red Roma, added salt & pepper plus a touch of olive oil and a splash of balsamic vinegar, and served that on the zucchini patties along with a bit of Tofutti sour cream on the side. Several diced Roma tomatoes also went into the barley salad, along with corn, cucumber, celery, red bell pepper, cilantro, olive oil, lime juice, salt and pepper. A little different from the last time we did a barley salad but tasty just the same.

7 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I did the same thing the other day -- grated a couple of zucchinis for patties. I added a grated potato or two and some onion. I had the same problem with the mixture being watery. I wondered if sprinkling the grated zucchini with salt and letting it sit a while would drawn out the liquid?

bazu said...

Mmmmm, perfect. I love barley so much, and I dig the idea of zucchini patties.

jessecoug said...

Do you know how much flour:zucchini you used? My CSA is giving us a lot of zucchini and I'd like to try these! However, no innate cooking ability here.

- Jesse

Chris said...

The salt idea is a good one Elizabeth but the extra flour did do the trick for me. Jessecoug - I don't know how much grated zucchini I ended up with but pre-grating I think it weighed just over a pound. And I'm guessing a bit here but I'd say I added about 1/2 cup of flour (plus 1/4 c. of nutritional yeast, egg replacer equal to one egg, 1/2 tsp. baking powder, plus seasonings).

urban vegan said...

You can never have enough zucchni tricks up your sleeve.

the pleasantly plump vegan said...

oh wow. I am so gonna make some of these zucchini patties. I just wish I had a garden to have zucchini take over in.

Sarah said...

I used to make something like this pre-vegan, basically the same recipe, though. if you add a few teaspoons of salt to the zucchini before you make the batter and let it drain for 45 minutes or so, it will draw out a lot of the water. I always squeezed any leftover water out in a tea towel, too.