Saturday, August 11, 2007

Calzones

We've written about calzones on more than one occasion. Usually we sort of make up our own recipe but this time I decided to try the Vegan Lunch Box recipe. For the calzone/pizza dough she uses a food processor, which seemed to be a quicker method so I thought I'd give it a try. The dough came out great and was indeed a bit less fuss than kneading by hand, though for everything to come together it still took quite a while. As Jennifer suggests, we filled our calzones with broccoli (that had been steamed a bit first) and a tofu ricotta mixture. I also made a version of her Sneaky Momma's Tomato Sauce, so named because of the addition of kale and other veggies. I actually used collards but either way it gives the sauce a good nutrition boost.

I mentioned that it took a while to make all this but that's OK since we ended up with 8 big calzones. We ate half for dinner last night and then we had something substantial to bring for lunch today when we went to a bike race (and we still have some sauce left). Finding vegan food while traveling can be a challenge so it's nice to be able to bring your own. I came home with a full belly and also with another state championship medal, albeit another silver one. Not quite the color I was hoping for but I'll take it.

8 comments:

springsandwells said...

even if it does mean second place, I still think silver is prettier than gold. Congrats!

and the calzones look deelish!

Tracy said...

Gosh, silver is excellent! I have so much awe for people who can cycle competitively...I find biking kinda, well, painful sortof. I know if I did it more often I'd get stronger, but I just don't. Anyway, be proud!
PS: the calzones look yummy, and that's a great idea of something to pack for "gettin' around" food.

Lady Di said...

They are also good for freezing and then reheating for a relatively "quick" meal later without having to do it all over again. And they fit in a freezer bag a lot easier than pizzas do. :)

Chris said...

Thanks Amey & Tracy!

And that's certainly true lady di ;-)

VeggieGirl said...

congratulations on the medal - that's quite an accomplishment, so be proud!! nice job on the calzones and tomato sauce - deelish :0)

bazu said...

Congrats on all your bike victories recently!
Oh, and I love calzones. You are right that the time investment pays off. I usually make a double batch of dough and freeze half.

Vegan_Noodle said...

Awesome job on the bike race!! THose calzones look great, I've made them using Jennifer's recipe several times and they always turn out great. And of course you've gotta love her sneaky momma's sauce...

Vivacious Vegan said...

Congratulations on your victory. You should be very proud of yourself. The last time I tried calzones they didn't turn out so well. I think it had something to do with the dough. I'll have to give Jennifer's version a shot.