Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Chickpea Sausage Patties

Though I made these to crumble up and put on a pizza, they'll be great for brunch too. They're sort of an amalgamation of several different recipes from Vegan with a Vengeance, Cooking with PETA and La Dolce Vegan. At first I tried to avoid using the TVP but it brings some texture to the party so I ended up adding it. They still turned out a little soft but they sure did taste good.

1/2 c. TVP granules soaked for 5-10 min. in 1/3 c. boiling water
1 1/2 c. cooked chickpeas
2 Tbs. Bragg's (or soy sauce)
1 Tbs. vegan worcestershire
2 Tbs. canola oil plus more for frying
1 tsp. liquid smoke
2 Tbs. nutritional yeast
1/2 tsp. dried marjoram
1/2 tsp. dried sage
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 c. bread crumbs
1/4 c. vital wheat gluten

In a large bowl, mash chickpeas with a potato masher or fork until there are no more whole chickpeas left. Stir in all remaining ingredients except wheat gluten. Now add the gluten and mix vigorously for a minute or so. Form into 10-12 patties and fry in a little canola oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until nice and brown on both sides.

8 comments:

Johanna3 said...

What kind of bread crumbs you use, plain ones?

thanks!!

Chris said...

Actually I used whole wheat that I made myself a while ago with some old bread. But plain would work fine too.

Estrellita said...

Hi, I just found this blog, and its great... I just have one question, why did you not want to use the TVP? As a vegan, I am a bit curious... is there something bad about it that I need to know?

Chris said...

thanks for reading estrellita! TVP is fairly highly processed but other than that I don't have a problem with it. Though I do seem to remember reading somewhere that some people can get GI issues from eating it.

Vanessa said...

Mmm, looks good! I'm slightly ashamed to say I've never made my own veggie sausage but this makes me want to give it a try.

Johanna3 said...

i made them and enjoy them a lot, thanks for a wonderful recipe i blog today about them!

Good-Dees said...

I made these this weekend - AWESOME! Thank you for the recipe!

Tommie said...

TVP is a soy product plus it is highly processed. Two reasons for me to avoid it. The third is that it's cooked and I only eat raw. However, if you have any kind of thyroid problems, the first is the only one you need to not use TVP.