Friday, August 17, 2007

Easy Enchiladas

Got half a bag of old tortilla chips? Spread 'em in a shallow baking dish, pour in enough enchilada sauce to coat all the chips, top with your favorite mock cheese, sprinkle some diced onions on top, then bake at 250° for 25 minutes. When it comes out sprinkle chopped fresh tomatoes and shredded romaine lettuce on top (and some soy sour cream if you've got it).

I got this idea from The Imus Ranch: Cooking for Kids and Cowboys (more on this book in a minute). I made my own not-very-authentic-but-still-good enchilada sauce from veggie broth, fresh tomatoes and lots of chili powder, among other things (sort of like I mentioned here). I also used the Nacho Cheeze Sauce from The Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook. We love the Nacho Cheeze recipe and it's a lot cheaper and less processed than using soy cheese. Speaking of which, though The Imus Ranch cookbook sort of claims to be a vegan one, many recipes call for soy cheese. Not that there's anything wrong with that, it's just that we don't buy the stuff all that often (after all, it certainly ain't cheap). We checked out this book from the library a long time ago but I don't think we ended up making anything from it. Then recently we found it for 5 bucks at a discount book store so we got a copy. It's mostly sat on our shelf since then but it does have some interesting recipes in it (like this one). I'd call it a vegetarian cookbook more than a vegan one because so many recipes call for soy cheese (and quite a few call for eggs too), but the price was right so now it's been added to our growing cookbook collection. (Did I use enough parentheses in this post?)

2 comments:

laura jesser said...

Those almost-instant enchiladas sound like a wonderful meal idea!

It drives me nuts when a vegan cookbook calls for a bunch of substitutes (soy cheese, egg replacer, etc.)... I can figure out how to replace those things myself! Still, for 5 bucks this cookbook sounds like a nice little book to have around.

Anonymous said...

I tried this with refried beans on top and Susan V's "cheese sauce" from her eggplant parm. It is like enchildad pudding - AMAZING thanks!