Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Molasses Marinated Tofu with Greens

As Yogi Berra once said, it's like deja vu all over again. So again I find myself explaining that while I like to stay focused on the food, I'm preoccupied with thoughts of our sick kitty cat. Simon has just come home after several days in the hospital. He was diagnosed with pancreatitis but not before he had surgery for what was initially thought to be an intestinal obstruction. This has happened almost exactly a year after our sweet Violet first had to be hospitalized. Less than three months later she was gone but we're hoping and praying that fate wouldn't be so cruel as to take two of our sweeties from us in less than a year. Simon is not even 8 years old and he's a big strong guy; and there's a good chance this was merely an acute flare-up and he'll be all better soon. It's possible it could be a more chronic problem but hopefully one he can live with for a good long time. He's been doing well since he came home so maybe he's turning the corner.

And it's a minor thing in comparison but on top of all that our camera just went kaput. I took tonight's dinner shot with a borrowed camera but there may be fewer pictures here for a while. It's possible we may be able to get our camera repaired for free (which would be a good thing given our vet bills) but even if that's the case I imagine it'll take several weeks.

Well now on to dinner I guess...

We have a folder where we keep various recipes we've clipped out of newspapers, magazines, etc. and I was just poking through it when I came upon a molasses marinade recipe we hadn't tried before. It was a newspaper clipping but the original source is Still Life with Menu by Mollie Katzen. Now Ms. Katzen is not very veg. friendly these days, but this particular marinade recipe is simple and good. For a pound of tofu, mix 1/4 c. cider vinegar, 2 Tbs. soy sauce, 2 Tbs. molasses, 4 minced cloves of garlic and several grinds of black pepper. Stir until well combined then pour over slices of tofu and marinate overnight. From here you could grill the tofu, bake it or just fry it in a pan like I did. On the side were some collard greens, cooked in my favorite way of late: Cut a bunch of collards into about 1/2" dice, steam for about 25 minutes, then mix in 1 Tbs. lemon juice, 1 Tbs. agave, 1/2 tsp. Spike seasoning and 1/4 tsp. salt (if using the salt-free Spike).

10 comments:

Don't Get Mad Get Vegan! said...

love and healing thoughts to sweet simon. i know i've said it before, we've gone thru so much of this stuff with our six felines. they are amazing and resilient creatures. i know the love you shower him with will get him thru and he'll be back to his old self in no time!

<3

springsandwells said...

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear about sweet little Simon. I hope that he has a quick and complete recovery... and that you are back to snuggling and playing together in no time.

give him a little snug for me. :)

- jesse said...

I am so sorry about Simon. I am sending my best wishes and am thankful he's got such a great guardian who cares so much.

Vegan_Noodle said...

Wishes and thoughts for a speedy recovery for Simon....

jill said...

Poor Simon! Sending good thoughts your way for his speedy recovery.

bazu said...

I hope Simon feels better soon! Hopefully, like you said, it won't be anything too serious, and maybe with the weather cooling down he'll be in a more comfortable spot soon. I remember you guys going through this with Violet, and I sincerely hope and believe it's going to be a happier ending this time.

Johanna3 said...

im very soory that Simon has suffering, wishing he get well soon!

pkj said...

I live in germany and read your blog regularly! I hope your Simon gets well-- perhaps it's a positive sign that you made a great recipe from a woman whose name (in german) means "Cats"!!

Chris said...

Interesting point pkj! I hadn't thought of that...

Thanks for reading!

Lesley said...

Best wishes to Simon for a speedy recovery. And many thanks for the link to the Food and Wine article. Frankly, I'm trying to contain my outrage at that piece. It's ridiculous.