Sunday, August 12, 2007

Noodle Bowls

This was a bit of an experiment but one that turned out well. Often when we find ourselves in Richmond we eat at Sticky Rice, a different sort of sushi bar. They've got some good vegan sushi, but we usually also have their "Dirty Vegan" noodle bowl. You can get it with udon or soba noodles and it's chock full of tofu and veggies in a coconut based sauce. Every time we have it we say, "we should really make this at home!" Now we finally have. Tonight I was just experimenting but maybe one day soon I'll write down a recipe to share. The more general description goes like this:

First of all, it dawned on me that the only way to make the nice crispy-on-the-outside tofu triangles that you often get in Thai restaurants is to deep fry the tofu. So I started by doing just that - with excellent results. Then I stir fried broccoli, onions and carrots in a little peanut oil, then added frozen bell pepper strips (since that was all we had) and also frozen edamame. Next I added fresh ginger, then coconut milk, soy sauce, Thai basil and a little Thai curry paste. And finally the fried tofu. While all that was happening I was cooking udon noodles, which got mixed in with everything else at the end. Then I served it in bowls with chopped peanuts sprinkled on top.

3 comments:

Serene said...

YUM!

(I do okay shallow-frying the tofu triangles, myself.)

the pleasantly plump vegan said...

mu hubby would love this noodle bowl!

Chelsea said...

Hey there! I live in Richmond and the "Dirty Vegan" noodle bowl is by far my favorite dish at Sticky Rice. I will definitely have to try our your version of it! I love your blog...I have a vegan cooking and baking blog (www.nowheyjose.com) and I will put yours on my blogroll..I love getting in touch with local vegans!