Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Pizza Pizza

I'm not sure where it came from but I had a hankering for pineapple on a pizza. We had sauce left over from the calzones and when we stopped at Trader Joe's this weekend we picked up some of their prepared whole wheat pizza dough. I figured some kind of vegan sausage would go well with the pineapple, plus we're getting bell peppers in our garden and one of those also made a nice addition. I winged it and came up with my own chickpea sausage recipe (which I've already posted). I also split the dough and used about 3/4 of it for a larger dinner pizza and the rest for a smaller dessert pizza. The dinner pizza I cooked in a cast iron skillet and it had the aforementioned sauce, then some crumbled chickpea sausage, then crushed pineapple and finally some bell pepper slices.

And the dessert pizza was cooked with just Tofutti cream cheese as the base and crushed pineapple on top. Then when it came out of the oven it was garnished with chopped fresh mint and powdered sugar.

6 comments:

Johanna3 said...

i love pizza, this looks great!

VeggieGirl said...

these pizzas look stunning!! I like the idea of making 'sausages' out of chickpeas, rather than soy protein - nice idea!

the pleasantly plump vegan said...

dessert pizzas are the best

bazu said...

I love pineapple pizza. I was just telling someone else that my brother and I used to get it all the time when we were kids. But I've never had a dessert pizza!

Oh, and look, word verification for this comment is: "pizva"- ha!

The Veggie Cookster said...

That looks so good! :)

Tofu Mom (AKA Tofu-n-Sprouts) said...

Love it! I'm hungry now.

You always have such great pictures and ideas. I'm inspired.