Sunday, August 05, 2007

Pressed Waffle Sandwiches

We got this idea from the latest Vegetarian Times, though it turned out to be nothing like their recipe which uses freezer waffles, store-bought soy sausage and cheese, among other things. Still, the idea was a good one so I came up with a plan to put my personal touch on it. I started with making the Mock Sausage patties from Cooking with PETA. We've made these once or twice before and they're excellent. Next I made some plain waffles using the recipe in Very Vegetarian that I've written about before (minus the sugar). Then I assembled the sandwiches - Tofutti cream cheese, sausage patties, baby spinach and avocado. Finally, I grilled each sandwich for a few minutes on each side in a cast iron skillet with a little margarine and as that was happening I pressed another hot skillet down on top of the sandwich. On the side was more avocado and a little sautéed zucchini but the sandwich was the star. These things were so good we kept eating them even after we were stuffed. A whole sandwich for me and a half for Darlene were plenty, but then we took a short break and split the other half. We'd been thinking for a while about doing some kind of savory dinner with waffles and this certainly fit the bill.

10 comments:

springsandwells said...

oh fun!
I was just looking at that recipe last night and wondering how to adapt it. I love your creative take on it...

Have you been reading their letters to the editor lately? Some people are irritated that they use so many "shortcuts" - like storebought waffles and sausage... other people love it. It's nice to see how a creative & comfortable cook like you can just take the general idea and run with it. well done!

it's fun to catch up on your blog after being gone for so long. Phew!

Chris said...

Thanks Amey! I do like some of their 'quick' recipes but often they're not vegan so it just gives me an idea to go in another direction.

Vegan_Noodle said...

Waffles are one of my favorite breakfast foods, and this sounds like a tasty new way of eating them! I wonder if some scrambled tofu would work well as a filling. Might fall out. Loved your version, I'll have to try it out!

Cherie said...

That's an awesome idea! I can't remember the last time I had a waffle, but I like them!

VeggieGirl said...

what an innovative way to use a waffle - I would have never thought to use it for a savory dish! looks fantastic!

Don't Get Mad Get Vegan! said...

what a fantastic idea. i don't even remember that being in VT but yours looks wonderful!

Judith MacCaellich-Young said...

Yum, that looks fabulous, and even better that you adapted it!

Vegan*asm said...

Mmm, ever since seeing that recipe in VT I have been wanting to give it a try. Glad to see how good the dish came out.

Veg-a-Nut said...

Oh wow! What an awesome dish. I need to go to the library and get the Peta book to make mock sausage. Sounds wonderful. Thanks for the cool idea!

Vanessa said...

This was my fav recipe in this month's VT too! Such a great idea and I bet your homemade waffles and sausage make it reeeeeeeeeally good.