Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Seitan and Vegetables with Tomato Couscous

Here's another Vegetarian Times change-up. In fact it's from the page opposite the waffle sandwich recipe. Unlike the waffle recipe, this one started out vegan but I still tweaked it a bit. The original recipe combines marinated artichoke hearts, tofu, carrots, leeks and garlic (seasoned with black pepper and cumin) and serves that mixture over couscous that's cooked with canned diced tomatoes.

Sounded simple and delicious but since I just made a big batch of seitan over the weekend I swapped that for the tofu. And instead of the marinated artichoke hearts I used a can of artichoke bottoms. So what's your canned artichoke preference, hearts or bottoms? We've been getting the canned artichoke bottoms quite a bit lately and I think we like them better than the hearts. Of course nothing beats a fresh artichoke but that's slightly less convenient.

But back to our dinner... Since there wasn't any artichoke marinade to mix in with the rest of the veggies I just added a little of the seitan cooking broth and some extra olive oil. The other alteration I made was using fresh tomatoes in the couscous just because it's that time of year. In the end it was all good, the savory seitan meshing nicely with the sweet carrots and artichokes.

4 comments:

Vegan_Noodle said...

Sounds like a delicious, filling meal. I have never tried artichoke bottoms, I'll have to experiment and see which I like best.

VeggieGirl said...

this looks fantastic!! I like the medley of vegetables used in this dish

bazu said...

Mmmmm...tomato couscous...

Almost Vegetarian said...

Oh, that looks wonderful. In these hot, hot days, vegetarian dishes just feel perfect.

Cheers!