Monday, August 20, 2007

Soup, Salad and Breadsticks

No it's not the Olive Garden. Maybe we stole their idea but this is better because it's all vegan. There was plenty of corn chowder left over from last night and we figured we could just have that again for dinner with maybe a salad for starters. But then I thought breadsticks would be good too so I made a basic pizza dough and rolled out a baking sheet full 'o stix. I brushed a little olive oil on top of them and then sprinkled on nutritional yeast plus a mixture of salt, paprika and garlic powder. So yummy... must do these again soon...

The salad was another one of my monster creations, with romaine lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, carrots, chickpeas, slivered almonds and nasturtium flowers. And when I looked up the corn chowder recipe on the farm bureau web site I also found a simple recipe for a Dijon mustard vinaigrette that was great on the monster salad.

7 comments:

bazu said...

My kind of dinner! That *that* Olive Garden!

Emmie said...

Mmm, bread... I should whine at Alex to make me some dinner like that. Breadsticks should be easy enough even for him! It looks so good.

the pleasantly plump vegan said...

the bread sticks look awesome as does the salad. nice touch with the flowers. beats Olive Garden any day!

Johanna3 said...

yum!! looks great, especially the salad, very colorful!

Courtney said...

Your bread sticks look amazing! And your salad is lovely--I really like the flowers on there.

Courtney

Anonymous said...

This looks so wonderful but I have a question, do you think this soup will freeze well?

I love your blog!!

Chris said...

Thanks anonymous!

I think it would freeze OK, but maybe not as well as other soups because of the fresh tomatoes and basil.