Thursday, September 06, 2007

Café 88

It's been quite a while since we've been out to eat and especially with our vet bills of late we're trying to avoid such expenses. But we had a couple of good excuses to splurge just a bit tonight, the first being that it's my birthday. And second, we really wanted to check out a new restaurant. Café 88 just opened last week and it's run by the former owner of Ming Dynasty, which is sort of our old standby for good vegetarian Chinese food. Now we may have a new favorite. The menu at Café 88 is small (in fact so is the café itself), and it's not all vegetarian but there are several veg. options (which the owner told us are all vegan). The menu is billed as "dim sum, snacks and Chinese bento box". Of the 9 bento box options, 5 are veg., including the Crispy Tofu and Vegetarian Protein Special that we had tonight. These come with rice and two side dishes, which tonight were a very tasty bok choy stir fry and a fried soy patty (which tasted much better than it sounds). My tofu came with a delicious brown sauce and was quickly deep fried so it had a thin crispy coating and it was soft on the inside. Darlene's Protein Special was excellent, though unlike anything I've had before. I guess it was bean curd sheets, folded up and maybe cooked in a flavorful broth. And for under 20 bucks we had 2 dinners and enough for one big lunch tomorrow. I only wish our camera wasn't still being serviced because both our meals looked as tasty as they were.

Oh, and I almost forgot... for anyone who's local: 923 Preston Ave., next to Integral Yoga.
I've also updated our local restaurant round up and linked to it in the sidebar.

12 comments:

VegMama said...

Whoa! We went to Cafe 88 last night also. We had the crispy tofu and the pineapple fried rice bento boxes. The pineapple fried rice has grilled pineapple and pieces of veggie ham! All vegan. The bok choy and soy patty was delicious. I am spreading the word about this place...starting with showing my co-workers my leftovers. I hope Cafe 88 sticks around, it is some of the best, if not the best, vegan food I've had since moving here.

Chris said...

Hey that's cool vegmama! I'm already thinking about trying the pineapple fried rice next time.

And I see you've got a broken Canon camera too. Eerie.... ;-)

Sean Tubbs said...

Wow! I had no idea about this! Thanks for posting. I will say, I'm worried about its potential for success. That spot seems to be cursed, as I think four places have been in that spot since it opened. But, I know where I'm going for dinner this weekend!

Chris said...

Definitely check it out Sean. I know what you mean about that spot. We were really bummed that the South Indian place didn't make it but this is probably the best thing we could hope for to follow that (yeah an all vegan restaurant would be better but what are the odds of that in this town?).

Anyway, hopefully this one will last longer. The owner has done a great job with the small space and it looks better than anything that's been there in the past.

the pleasantly plump vegan said...

happy birthday!
that place sounds amazing.

Vegan_Noodle said...

Hope you had a wonderful birthday... it certainly sounds like you had a wonderful meal! :-)

Courtney said...

Happy birthday! I hope you had a great day!

Courtney

Heidi said...

Happy Birthday Chris! The next time you're at Cafe 88, will you please tell the owners (Li and her husband I assume?) that Heidi and John say "Hello!" We were wondering how their new venture was going to turn out :) We both went to Ming all through high school and college, so they've known us for a bit. I'm glad to hear they're doing a good thing for the vegans!

bazu said...

Happy belated birthday! That sounds like a wonderful and fun place to eat.

Cherie said...

Happy birthday! It's great that you found someplace with good prices and a decent selection of veg items.

Sean Tubbs said...

Well, we tried to try it. We went at 8:20 this past Saturday night. We even got a babysitter so we could enjoy it sans toddler.

And, they were closing. At 8:20. On a Saturday night. It kind of put a damper on our evening, to be honest, and I'm not sure if we'll go back. To make it worse, there was a family of four sitting in the restaurant that looked to have just received their meals.

Anonymous said...

great to hear about this place! I think I'll go for lunch today and try that crispy tofu. Their hours do state until 8 pm so it's no wonder they were closed. Try back again, it might be worth the wait!