Saturday, September 08, 2007

Cold Udons with Peanut Sauce and Seitan

We've posted about this before but it's one of our favorite recipes from Vegan with a Vengeance so I figured it's worthy of a repeat. Plus I was talking to a friend at work the other day about Asian sauces and I told him I knew of a great peanut sauce recipe. I saw over on the PPK a while back that Isa doesn't mind the occasional posting of one of her recipes so I figured I'd share the peanut sauce recipe here for what is hopefully the very small minority of you who don't have your own copy of VwaV. The rest of this dish is cold udon noodles on the bottom and fresh veggies and fried seitan (with a little garlic and soy sauce) on top - and black sesame seeds to finish it off. In her recipe Isa uses seedless cucumber, red bell pepper, bean sprouts and scallions for the veggies. This time around I left out the bean sprouts and used a yellow bell pepper because we had a nice one fresh from our garden. And to get some red into the picture I added a little tomato and a few hot red pepper slices. But it's the peanut sauce that makes the dish (I could eat this stuff with a spoon):

2 tsp. peanut oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbs. minced fresh ginger
1 c. water
2 Tbs. soy sauce
1 tsp. ground coriander
2/3 c. smooth peanut butter
2 Tbs. real maple syrup
3 Tbs. rice vinegar
2 tsp. Asian chile sauce

In a small saucepan, sauté garlic and ginger in oil over medium heat. Add water, soy sauce and coriander and bring to a boil. Turn down the heat and whisk in the peanut butter, then mix in the remaining ingredients and remove from heat. Serve at room temperature over cold udons with cold veggies and warm seitan on top.

On a different topic I have to give props to Canon for fixing our camera. For free even. And quickly. Until now I've never had any problems with Canon products. Even the 15 year old low-end 35mm film camera I have from them still works great and we'd been happy with our digital camera too. The digital camera is 4 years old but still I was irritated when it broke. But I contacted Canon through their web site and since the issue we had was a recurring one they fixed it for free even though it's long out of warranty. We just got it back yesterday and it works good as new. And that makes less than two weeks from the time I first contacted them to the time we got it back repaired. So now I guess I'm happy with Canon again.

13 comments:

Emmie said...

I love peanut sauce, although I hate peanut butter with a passion. I suppose i'll have to find a recipe that calls for the use of real peanuts. This looks really good!

Chris said...

It's not a noodle dish but you could try this Emmie.

urban vegan said...

I've tried that recipe and love it.

Kristen said...

you have a wonderful page

Emmie said...

Thanks for the link, I'm going to save that recipe for future use. It sounds so delicous!

Vegan_Noodle said...

Mmm, peanut sauce. Haven't tried this recipe yet from VWAV, I'd better get my butt in gear! I've seen too many posts about how yummy it is...

the pleasantly plump vegan said...

peanut sauce is probably one of my all time top 5 favorite things.

Chris said...

mine too ppv ;-)

elizabeth said...

i love this too!
you know, THANK GOD, for Isa.

Bug said...

First, let me say that I LOVE YOUR BLOG!

I made a variation of this recipe last night.

I cut back on the vinegar and added a teaspoon of curry to the peanut sauce. I let the seitan simmer in the sauce while I made a batch of carrrots, green and yellow squash.

I then combined everything in a giant pot.

This was great as a stand alone meal, but it would also be great over rice or noodles!

Your picture looks much nicer, but mine was yummy just the same!

ginafly said...

This was the first recipe my husband and I made out of VWAV, and we loved it!

Jay said...

Hi. I made this dish from Vegan with a vengeance last night for two friends who loved it. And they aren't even vegetarians. I'll definitely make this again!

Chris said...

me too Jay. In fact it's been a while already...