Sunday, September 30, 2007

A Fine Fall Weekend

How about a picture-heavy post for a change? And you'll notice in many of these pictures that the sky is crystal clear. It was 75 degrees and sunny here in central Virginia this weekend and we took advantage of the beautiful weather. On Saturday we walked downtown for the 11th annual Charlottesville Vegetarian Festival.

First stop was the food court and the lines were long but we waited patiently for some good grub.


The offerings at the African place looked good and we started there since they came up from Richmond and we can't get this stuff locally. Interesting that they covered up the word "meat" on their sign but we didn't let that bother us too much since everything on offer here was vegan.

We splurged and got the sampler platter which included, well, a sample of everything. In front is jerk roasted vegetables next to red beans and rice covered with a mock chicken stew. In the back is mixed greens, fried plantains, ginger plantain and rice cake, and fried bean cakes (which despite the rather plain name were probably the best thing there).

After sharing that big platter we still wanted something more so we headed over to the Ethiopian food booth. I was disappointed that the person in front of me got the very last of the spicy red lentils but the collards, yellow split peas and mixed vegetables were still delicious. As was the lentil sambusa poking out in front. I think there were actually fewer food choices than in years past but still we came away pretty darn full. For more on the veg. fest check out this post over at the "Where's the Meat?" blog.

We woke up this morning to another clear blue sky and after going for a walk we headed up to Carter Mountain Orchard for another round of apple picking.


The only variety available for picking was Golden Delicious, but these were indeed delicious - nothing like the bland mush you find at a mainstream grocery store.


We came home and promptly started making apple jam. And I'm looking forward to cracking open one of those jars to have with my oatmeal for breakfast tomorrow. I'm also looking forward to leftover soup for lunch. For those of you who haven't seen this yet, Isa has posted some sample recipes from the upcoming Veganomicon. We made the Chickpea Noodle Soup for dinner tonight and it was D-lish!

13 comments:

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

I just went to a veg fest in San Francisco, but yours looks like it has more options!
I couldn't believe the difference between handpicked Golden Delicious & the store bought ones, I was never a big fan until I picked them myself!

Vegan_Noodle said...

Looks like so much fun! This must be the season for veggie fests!

SusanV said...

Oh, the photos from the apple orchard are so beautiful! How lucky you are to live in a lovely place with its own veg festival.

laura jesser said...

I have family in Charlottesville and seriously considered making the trip up for the veg festival. It sounds like it would have been worth the trip. I love the photo of the apples against the gorgeous sky. And yes, I too shun grocery store golden delicious apples, but adore any freshly picked apple I can get my hands on!

springsandwells said...

hey cool!
I am just about to blog about the SF VegFest. I like seeing how your experience was. The apple picking looks so fun. And thanks for the tip off about the new Isa recipes. I hadn't seen that yet!

:) amey

VeggieGirl said...

wow, the Charlottesville Vegetarian Festival looks like it certainly was a great event!! The only apples I've been able to have, fresh from a local farm, are golden-delicious; but I LOVE that variety, so it's fine :0)

I can't WAIT for my copy of Veganomican to arrive at my doorstep - the recipes just sound so incredible!

bazu said...

Oh, cool, it's vegfest season! I love your photos- we're having summery weather here too, and I'm enjoying every last minute of it.

Pink Theory said...

That African platter looks good! Looks like it was a fun festival.

Peace, Love and Veganism said...

Isn't it funny how so many of us were probably there - could have walked right past each other? A shame that blogging has to be so private/safe sometimes.... :)

Geraldine said...

Apple jam sounds yummy! This was an inspiring and encouraging post, thanks for sharing.

- said...

Thanks for the head's up on those Veganomicon recipes. I saw that and then made that chickpea soup this weekend, and you were so right, it WAS D-lish. :)

BigFoot Marty said...

Do tell about the apple jam.

I get apples by the bushel an eat like Secretariat with a tape worm but would love jam or jelly recipe.

Love making aplesauce in crock pot with 20 apples and 2 cups of polenta, a little seasalt and molasses.

I missed th veggie fest because we had a race up in the Blue Ridge that day. I was bummed, but I was in the woods.

James Reno said...

That looked like a lot of fun. Glad you had great weather!

We had a "VeggieFest" here in Illinois not too long ago as well.

To Your Health!
James Reno (editor)
Raw-Food-Repair.com