Saturday, September 22, 2007

Okra Curry

It's not something we regularly seek out but occasionally if we see some nice okra at the farmers market we'll bring it home. But then I'm never really sure what to do with it. I've seen it in Indian dishes so I thought maybe some kind of curry might be nice. I wouldn't call this Indian exactly but it was pretty good for a recent weeknight meal. It was going to be just okra and potatoes but we had a very small handful of green beans from our garden so I threw those in too. I adapted the recipe from the Curried Potatoes and Peas in Moby's teany book.

1 lb. potatoes, peeled and cut into bite-sized pieces
1 Tbs. canola oil
small yellow onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
3/4 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. curry powder
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. ground corriander
1/2 lb. okra, chopped (about 2 cups)
small handful green beans, chopped
1 c. coconut milk

Boil the potatoes until they're tender and set aside. Heat the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook until they're getting soft. Add garlic, salt, curry powder, cumin and corriander and cook another minute or so. Add okra, beans and coconut milk, bring to a boil then lower the heat and simmer for a few minutes until the veggies are getting soft. Stir in the potatoes and serve over rice.

6 comments:

VeggieGirl said...

I haven't had okra in years! this curry recipe looks enticing; and I had no idea that Teany has its own cookbook!! I love Teany (great food!), so I need to look for that book, for sure...

Sean Tubbs said...

So, when do you open up your catering business? That looks absolutely incredible.

Courtney said...

That looks great! When I first saw the photo, I thought that the potato was chunks of pineapple, but the potato sounds much better!

Courtney

Xaprb said...

My wife and I made this last night with vegetables we got from our CSA (Best Of What's Around). It was delicious.

The Little Vegan said...

That sounds really, really yummy!

Niru said...

Looks so good and healthy! Having been brought up with a generous dose of okra, I end up cooking it once a week.

I usually just heat a bit of oil, add some cumin till it splutters, add the chopped okra (in lengths of 5 cm) and spice it up with salt, paprika and asfoetida. It takes all of 10 minutes to come up with this delicious side to a meal.