Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Pot Pie with Cauliflower and Greens

We finally had our first cold snap here (cool snap?) and what's great about colder nights is baking things in the oven without feeling guilty that we're causing the A/C to work overtime. This pot pie hit the spot on a recent cool night. Our old standby pot pie recipe is from the Vegetarian Times cookbook. We always tweak the recipe to our liking and this time I really just used the recipe as a guide and went in my own direction but it came out really good. The main veggies were cauliflower and collard greens and Darlene did sort of a rustic topping by putting the dough for the crust on by spoonfuls (see, you can just wing it and call it rustic and it's great). Even though we went back for seconds we still had room for dessert - apple crisp made with apples we picked at an orchard just down the road. Oh, and a little soy cream on the side. Mighta gone back for seconds on this too I think.

14 comments:

Matthew Rosenberg said...

I am not a vegan or even a vegetarian but have always enjoyed good vegan meals. Your recipies sound great but your pictures leave a lot to be desired. The last pictures have a yellow cast to them that make them appear much less yummy than I know they are.

-Matt

Chris said...

Been there already Matt. C'est la vie.

VeggieGirl said...

such comfort food with a vegan twist - looks quite delicious!

Anonymous said...

Ooh... I live in Richmond and its a tradition to go to Carter Mountain orchard in Charlottesville every year for apples. I can't wait to go this year!

Courtney said...

That looks so good! Can I ask how you thickened the filling in the pot pie?

Thanks!
Courtney

the pleasantly plump vegan said...

god, that crisp looks great. i could have thirds on this dessert!

Chris said...

thanks veggiegirl! it was!

we're fortunate to live only about 2 miles from carter mtn. anonymous. we're trying to make it a point to go there more often this year.

courtney - the liquid in the pie was veggie broth thickened with whole wheat pastry flour - tho i don't remember the proportions.

ppv - i think my 3rd helping was for breakfast the next day ;-)

Emmie said...

I loooove apple crisp. I love apples in general. I could have them for dessert every single day. Lovely!

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

Mmm! Hooray for Apple Crisp season!

urban vegan said...

Autumn is not so bad with foods liek this. May I have a slice of apple crisp, please?

Chris said...

Next time we're up Philly way we'll bring you some urban vegan ;-)

bazu said...

Oh man... I have a bag of freshly-picked apples that are screaming to be made into an apple crisp. Thanks for the inspiration! Pot pie though... I'm going to have to wait for a really cool night before I take that leap.

Chris said...

What exactly do you mean by cool Bazu? To me every night is cool where you live ;-)

MKShelley said...

Hi, I'm vegan visiting non-vegan family today and have been asked to cook. They have cauliflower and collards in the fridge, and I was wondering if I could have this recipe. If possible, can you email me with it today?

melissakayshelley@gmail.com