Monday, September 03, 2007

Walnut Pesto

Hmmm... I just realized this is the second post in a row about walnuts. Well they're good for you right? It's also the time of year when the basil is bolting and it's time to pick a bunch of it and make pesto. Only this time I figured the Walnut Pesto recipe in Vive le Vegan! looked a little different and interesting.

That it was, though it's a little more homely and not as photogenic as it's bright green counterpart the traditional basil/olive oil/pine nut pesto. The walnuts and soy milk give it a beige color that the green basil just can't overcome. Ah, but looks aren't everything and I have to admit that I liked this concoction more than a traditional pesto. It's a little more creamy, which I like, plus it doesn't quite have the intense basil flavor. We had it over whole wheat spaghetti with steamed kale on the side and I dressed it up as best I could for the picture with some nice cherry tomatoes on top.

9 comments:

the pleasantly plump vegan said...

i think it looks beautiful and tasty! and those cherry tomatoes look outta sight!

VeggieGirl said...

mmm, I've been wanting to try that walnut pesto recipe from TEV for some time now... it looks fantastic in your pasta dish!

VeggieGirl said...

oops! I meant Vive, not TEV :0)

Kumudha said...

I recently tried walnut pesto for the first time, and it was great!

Those muffins looks so healthy and tasty!

Don't Get Mad Get Vegan! said...

Ooh, I've been meaning to try this one. Yours looks great! I try to incorporate nuts into all sort of things. At our house, this typically means walnuts. YUM!

urban vegan said...

I love any kind of pesto. Always hearty and filling. Looks great.

bazu said...

Color aside, walnut-based sauces are awesome.

Katie said...

Oooh that pesto looks really good.

Chris said...

OK... I think there's a consensus that walnuts rule ;-)

Thanks everyone!